Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows System Builder - from disc to USB

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kevinbsmith14

kevinbsmith14

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:38 PM

Hello,

Recently, I downloaded Ubuntu and accidentally erased Windows 7 from my computer. I bought Windows 7 System Builder OEM disc the other day to restore windows. When I got my Windows disc today I saw that the "optical drive" on my laptop is non existent (it looks like there should be an optical drive or you could possibly install one in the future, but is not there). I inserted the system builder into another computer with an optical disc drive to create an .ISO of it, which I mounted onto a USB after formatting it with Rufus 2.2. I changed my boot order so that BIOS would load the USB first. When I did this I got a security warning, and Windows would not boot. 

I did not boot windows on any device yet (I'm aware that you can only do this one time because it ties itself to the motherboard). I chose the previous method of installation because a few google searches recommended to do so. 

Does anybody know what I should do in order to boot Windows 7 on my computer?

Computer:

Acer Aspire V3-572PG 50S 1.

Currently running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Previously ran Windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:01 PM

I looked at the specs on this computer. Did this computer have Windows 8.1 on it originally? Are you planning on keeping Ubuntu. Removing Ubuntu, installing Windows 7 and then reinstalling Ubuntu would probably be the easiest if you plan on dual booting again.

If this computer came with Windows 8.1 you could install 8.1 free of charge and then update to 10. 

#3 kevinbsmith14

kevinbsmith14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:04 PM

Yes it originally came with Windows 8.1. I already purchased the Windows 7 disc and I want to use, as I prefer Windows 7.

I don't mind if Ubuntu is erased, I will install it afterwards. How would I go about installing Windows 7. As I said, I have created a .ISO that is now mounted onto a USB. I read something about using a 3.0 USB instead of a 2.0 USB, do you think this will make a difference, and how would I check?

Thank you for the reply

#4 kevinbsmith14

kevinbsmith14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:10 PM

If it is not possible to do this, I will buy an external DVD drive. I would still appreciate if you could help me with the current situation though.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,864 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:13 PM

Okay, I believe first you need to disable Secure Boot in UEFI if you have not already. You can keep UEFI or set it to Legacy/CSM boot. Also, if you have Fastboot or Quickboot enabled that should be disabled. Depending on what you choose would change one of the following commands. First see this page.

When you get to the Window that shows the language to install press shift + F10 to bring up a command prompt. At the command prompt type the following commands.

Diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

clean           -  the page says to use clean all. This will zero out the drive which will take awhile. Clean deletes the partition table only. If you have Ubuntu on the computer it may be best to use clean all.  This will take awhile depending on the size of the drive.

convert gpt   -  use this command if you plan on keeping UEFI and not using legacy BIOS. (UEFI requires a GPT disk)

convert mbr  - if you plan on using legacy boot use this command

exit

Continue with the install

Edit: If you cannot get to the Windows with language selection you can use a the bootable version of Partition Wizard (based on linux) to wipe the drive and initialize it as GPT. Then do the install using your Windows 7 USB.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 July 2015 - 09:20 PM.

#6 kevinbsmith14

kevinbsmith14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:56 PM

Okay, 

I disabled UEFI and booted with legacy.

I have no option to disable or enable fastboot or quickboot in BIOS. 

When I boot in Legacy (after changing the boot order so the mounted USB boots before the HDD) I get sent straight to Ubuntu GRUB, where I only have the option to choose between booting Ubuntu, booting Ubuntu in secure mode, and two other ubuntu related options.

I change the boot to UEFI from Legacy and I get a screen that says "Blocked by Security Policy", followed by "Default boot device mising or boot failed", followed by "Insert Recovery Media". 

My flash drive is 16gb Kingston G3 3.0. I have created a .ISO of the system builder, and it is mounted on this flash drive. Would you know what to do instead?

Thank you,

#7 kevinbsmith14

kevinbsmith14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:57 PM

I triple checked that I was mounting the .ISO correctly.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,864 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:13 PM

Go ahead and wipe the drive using the bootable Partition Wizard. After that start the install using the commands I posted except do not use convert gpt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users