Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Tweaking.com's "Windows Repair" work on 8.1?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 trickshot63

trickshot63

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:26 PM

I have some registry issues.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

Hi trickshot63 :)

What kind of Registry issues do you have? Depending of what they are, using a tool like Windows Repair All-In-One could be more dangerous than anything.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:51 PM

• Mod Edit:  Replaced copied content from website...with link:  http://www.tweaking.com/ .
  • In the future, please just post the link for such, thereby giving proper credit for content to the appropriate source - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 02 July 2015 - 05:51 AM.
Avoided copyright issues - Hamluis.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 trickshot63

trickshot63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:19 AM

Cannot get bits to start...keep getting the error "Windows could not start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service on local computer".  The error number it gives me is 2147024894.

#5 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:28 AM

Stay the heck away from these types of products!  <---- Best advice we can give you.

Are you using Norton?  What OS is it that you have?  Do you have more 'tools' like that in your computer?  Why do you say you have Registry issues and meaning what, what sort of "issues"?

Best idea for you in regard to the Registry is stay out of it.

Have you run Malwarebytes?

Cheers,

Edited by Drew1903, 02 July 2015 - 01:30 AM.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:46 AM

Depending on just how comfortable you are with this type of instruction.....

I would advise you to Create a System Restore Point....and also a Registry backup FIRST

System Restore for Windows 8......HERE

Registry Backup HERE  (Download and run Erunt...it will save a registry backup to your document folder)

This section from kb article kb910337

Windows could not start the Background Intelligent Transfer service on the local computer. For more information review the system event log. If this is a non-Microsoft service contact the service vendor and refer to service-specific error code -2147024894. (0x80070002)

If you receive this error message, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
  2. Locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
  3. If the registry subkey exists, go to step 4. If the registry subkey does not exist, create the registry subkey. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Right-click Backup Restore, point to New, and then click Key.
    2. Type FilesNotToBackup, and then press ENTER.
  4. Quit Registry Editor.
  5. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
  6. Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
  7. In the General tab, click Start.

Edited by Condobloke, 02 July 2015 - 03:34 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:07 AM

Something, likely malware, has caused this.  BITS won't just quit for no reason.  There are 2 or 3 Services that must be running not, just BITS

Might, also, reset Winsock.

Can try the FIX-it tool & or DIM.

Edited by Drew1903, 02 July 2015 - 03:07 AM.

#8 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:37 AM

I have used it couple times (except registry stuff because i think no one should mess with Windows Registry) on 8.1 and i never experienced any issues at all.

#9 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:13 AM

"I have used it couple times"  'it'??

#10 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:49 AM

I meant on Windows Repair Tool. Sorry if my grammar is bad :bubbles:

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:20 AM

If you want to use the Windows Repair All-In-One tool for that, this is how you want to use it:
zImGw67.pngWindows Repair All-In-One
NOTE: Before following to step below, please disable your Antivirus software or any other real-time security software that you have enabled.
  • Download the portable version of Windows Repair All-In-One;
  • Move the file (archive) on your Desktop, and extract it there;
  • Go in the tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio folder, then Tweaking.com - Windows Repair folder, right-click on Repair_Windows.exe and select Run as Administrator;
  • From there, click on the Next button until you are presented with an Open Repairs button and click on it;
  • Let the Registry back up complete, and move on to the check-list window;
  • Click on the Unselect All button at the bottom, then check the following items:
    • Remove Policies Set By Infections;
    • Restore Important Windows Services;
    • Set Windows Services To Default Startup;
  • Once done, click on the Start Repairs button and let the scan execute;
  • If you are being prompted with a Security Warning, allow it to go through;
  • Once the repair is complete, it'll ask you to restart your computer, please do it;
  • Then after that, restart your computer.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#12 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:30 AM

I meant on Windows Repair Tool. Sorry if my grammar is bad :bubbles:

Thanks, no worries... not your grammar, I just was trying to connect the entries of the thread together.

#13 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:32 AM

Stay the heck away from these types of products!  <---- Best advice we can give you.

I use it in the Am I Infected section to repair issues caused by infections. Windows Repair All-In-One is basically an automaton of manual repairs combined into one application, so it must be used with care - but it is unlikely to cause issues, if any.

Using Tweaking.com - Windows Repair

Windows Repair All-In-One now offers to repair reparse points and environment variables as well. And the backup choice has been expanded to include Tweaking.com Registry Backup as primary method.

#14 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:33 AM

MiniToolbox is also good as well. Same for UltraVirusKiller

#15 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:34 AM

MiniToolbox is also good as well. Same for UltraVirusKiller

Just FYI, the author of UltraVirusKiller has been found to be stealing databases from AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool. I wouldn't trust it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users