Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disc drive not reading/recognizing discs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SlapMop

SlapMop

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:15 PM

All of a sudden last night I discovered that my disc drive (an ASUS drive, here's a link to the drive on Newegg) is not reading discs after trying to import some music discs a friend sent me.  At first I figured it could just be his discs but then I tried another music disc which I have used on the PC before and found that it too was not being recognized.  I also tried a DVD I own and had the same thing happen.

Looking at device manager, I have two yellow caution signs next to "ASUS BC-12B1ST b ATA Device" and "DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device".  I've tried updating drivers (device manager says drivers are up to date) and I've tried uninstalling them in device manager and rebooting (on start-up the drivers said they both failed to install).  Under device status on both of those devices it reads "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)".

When I put a disc in, I think I can hear the drive spinning up, and I can definitely hear it spinning down.  The light on the drive also still flashes when I put a disc in.  I also seem to hear some sort of beep coming from the drive, not very loud, just internal.  I can't remember if that happened before or if it's giving me some kind of audial error message.  I was hoping this would just be a loose cable problem (I have not yet taken the PC apart to look at it yet) but I figure'd if there was a cable issue then there would be no power to the drive at all? 

Anyone have any ideas?  Am I looking at a hardware or software issue?

Oh btw I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium

Edited by SlapMop, 02 July 2015 - 12:41 AM.
Moved to internal hardware from external hardware as requested

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:24 PM

Hello there,

This could be caused by corrupt registry keys in your system. I have come across a very useful link which might help : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

Give those steps a try and let us know

Hope this helps. 

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:07 PM

My experience has been that it is the drive that has failed, or is failing.  I normally keep one on hand just in case.  At $20 for a DVD drive and $50 for a Bluray it is worth it to me to avoid the inconvenience of having to wait for a drive to be shipped if my drive fails.

#4 SlapMop

SlapMop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:41 AM

Hello there,

This could be caused by corrupt registry keys in your system. I have come across a very useful link which might help : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

Give those steps a try and let us know

Hope this helps. 

Yep, first troubleshooter fixed it...  Feel stupid now.  Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users