Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Won't "See" Any USB Flash Drives

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Cypod

Cypod

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

I have an HP DV7t laptop running Windows Vista 64 Home Premium that suddenly won't "see" any USB flash drives (all the drives work fine on other PCs). When I plug one in, nothing happens. You hear the USB sound but AutoPlay doesn’t run and when you look in "Computer" in the Start Menu you don’t see the drive.

The flash drive shows up in Disk Manager but doesn't have a drive letter assignment and you can't assign one. It does show up in "Safely Remove Hardware" as a normal flash drive with the correct drive name, ie, "Corsair Flash Voyager", and you can stop and remove the drive as if it were functioning normally.

I've tried deleting drivers, USB entries in Device Manager, etc., and then rebooting, but Vista always comes back with "Windows couldn't find driver software for your device". I have attempted many other solutions as well but nothing seems to work. All Windows Updates have been applied & malware scans come up clean.

From Google searches I see that this is apparently a common issue with Vista

...Does anyone know how to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:22 PM

See if the Microsoft Fixit Utility solves the problem. You said you deleted USB entries in the registry. Have you downloaded USBdeview? Use that to delete all your Vendor specific devices except network and printer devices. Then reboot and see if your USB flash drive is detected.

#3 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:22 PM

I tried the "Fixit" utility but no luck. Thanks for the USBdeview link; I'll try that as soon as I can access the laptop again ...it belongs to a published author and they are in the middle of writing a new book :)

Edited by Cypod, 03 July 2015 - 03:23 PM.

#4 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:42 PM

I uninstalled all USB flash drives on the system with USBdeview and then rebooted. When I plugged in a USB drive, Windows re-installed the generic driver but also indicated that "the system cannot find the file specified" ...I guess there is just no valid driver there to load. The PC behaves the same as before and still doesn't see the flash drive.

What's my next move?

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:13 PM

The above Microsoft Fix it utility link given by JonhC_21 member is wrong utility for repairing USB plugged hardware device, is not detected by Windows OS, use the Microsoft Fix it utility from below URL link.

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

Edited by FreeBooter, 03 July 2015 - 10:13 PM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#6 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:03 PM

Thanks for responding FreeBooter. Unfortunately that "Fix it" didn't work, either :(

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:11 PM

Your very welcome, i have question about you removing USB entries in Device Manager not sure if you mean you remove driver for USB device that's not detected correctly. Also which operating system and file system (NTFS/FAT) you have format the USB device that's not detected.

2GvnEq2.gif

#8 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:47 PM

I previously uninstalled all "USB Root Hub" entries under USB Controllers in Device Manager, then rebooted. There was no change.

Some of the flash drives were originally formatted in XP, others in Vista; all are FAT 32. All worked fine on this machine before the problem started.

Edited by Cypod, 03 July 2015 - 11:48 PM.

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:32 AM

Open Device Manager and from menu bar click View tab and select "Show hidden devices" and expand "Disk drives" uninstall all drivers for USB devices not been detected also expand "Potable devices" and uninstall all drives for devices. Reconnect USB device to find out it will be detected.

2GvnEq2.gif

#10 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:57 AM

I appreciate the reply. The only hidden device showing up under "Disk Drives" is the hard drive - no USB devices. I couldn't find any listing for "Portable Devices".

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:28 AM

I did a search on the dv7. Dead USB ports seem to be a common problem.

#12 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:44 AM

The USB ports aren't dead; you can hear the USB "chime" when a flash drive is plugged in - it just doesn't show up. The ports also work fine with an HP printer/scanner and a Canon camera.

I tried a few more things, including deleting the INFCACHE.1 file in c:\windows\inf and rebooting to force Windows to rebuild it. I also tried re-formatting one of the drives on other computer (XP) ....still no luck.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:59 AM

The ports work fine on a scanner and camera and yet any USB flash drive is not detected. That is strange. 

On thing to check. Attach the flash drive. After the ding go to Disk Management and see if it shows there. If it does, it's possible a drive letter has not been assigned to the flash drive. Assign a letter. It should then show in Computer.

You could rule out some kind of hardware issue by booting a small linux distro like Puppy. Attach the flash drive and see if it gets detected.

#14 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

That was the first thing I tried. The flash drive shows up in Disk Manager but doesn't have a drive letter assignment and you can't assign one (it's usually detected as "Drive 0").

I'll try booting to an old Knoppix disk I have but I doubt that it's a hardware issue since the ports work on other devices.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:46 AM

See if you can assign a letter using Diskpart. Make sure you are doing this to the USB flash drive.

At an elevated command prompt type

Diskpart

list volume

select volume X    where X is the USB flash drive. 

assign letter=R      use any letter you want

exit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users