Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange problem with a 3Com 3226 24 port switch

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vgbaron

vgbaron

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:41 PM

Hi all - first post - strange problem - for the record I have a pretty good knowledge of networking etc but am in no way a network pro.

Here's the situation -

Have a windows 2003 server and 5 workstations (w-7 and W-8.1) running through a Cisco router and a gigabit 5 post switch - NO problems.

Had to shut down a business that has a 3Com 3226 24 port stackable switch that was used to connect their equipment.

Need to add one more workstation but the 8 port gigabit switch is full so I figure I'll just transfer everything over to the 3Com and be good to go!  NOT!

Bottom line - there is NOTHING I have tried that will allow the server to connect through the switch to other members of the network. They are invisible in the net map. Going to one of the workstations, I can see all the other w/s but the server is missing.

I tried uninstalling the NIC's in the server - flushDNS - reset the Winsock -  changed cables but no matter WHICH of the 24 ports in the switch I use, I get "Cable is disconnected" error. The switch just does NOT see the server. The xfr light is NOT lit on whatever port I plug the server into.

Put everything back on the 8 port switch - works like a charm.

It acts like there is a firewall or filter that is blocking the server for some unknown reason but I'll be darned if I can figure out how or why.

Anyone have any experience with this switch.

Thanx,

Vic Baron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:01 PM

Make sure all the ports are in the same vlan and no routing is enabled.  This does mean you need to login to the switch

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:04 PM

If the server works on the other switch there is nothing wrong with the server. Did you just bring it from the other business and plug it in to use? Cause while the 8 port probably isn't managed, the 24 port is. So you need to get inside and reset it back to defaults. My advice would be find a manual for that switch and read a bit.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 vgbaron

vgbaron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

Thanx guys - Just found the manual and you are correct. I did not set up the original and, yes, I just took the old hardware from the location. Configuration is probably all messed up. Now I need to find the proper cable and a terminal to connect it to. Probably will give it a good college try but might be cheaper in the long run to just buy a new 16 port switch for expansion.

Thanx for the help!

Vic

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:10 PM

A little easteregging might find a reset switch behind the back panel, through a little hole.  Cracking the case might reveal a battery, kind of like the CMOS battery in a PC.  Pulling that should default the unit too.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:04 PM

Cracking the case is a option of last resort.  Manual should have default logon name and password or online docs will have them. Odds are you maybe able to logon using the defaults.  If not hit the reset.  Just google the model and reset to find the how to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users