Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Always good to have a plan #2

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chris030

Chris030

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:17 PM

Hi guys & girls or men & women from Bleeping Computer!

I hope I'm posting this into the right forum. If not, please excuse me.

I also apologize in advance for some incomprehensive sentences like I usually do when I'm excited about something but don't really know how to express it... So I hope you understand most of it :blush:

The title might seem a bit odd but here is what I mean. I'm currently studying veterinary medecine and one of my hobbies is computer technology, if I can call it like that. Before I started studying, I had the choice between informatics and veterinary medecine.

In the past time I thought about also getting in that path in case veterinary medecine doesn't work like planned and have some sort of second/emergency plan.

So, here are my thoughts:

- I like helping people out when they are having trouble with their computer. Although I don't know much, I like to google and search for the answer so that I also know it for later.

- I also like the security aspect like how to protect yourself better against something (spyware for example). Or how to avoid getting hacked or so. Or searching for failures in someones software/website/etc and telling them, like hacking in the good way (not the illegal way!). Tracking down malware & co in the pc, ... and get rid of it. (Hope this point is comprehensible for you ...) Is there a "noun" that sums this up?

- I also find programming interesting, I already did a little bit on that and managed to have my own calculator (yay) ^^. But here you have to be part of a team if you want to achieve something (big) or am I wrong? Well I expect you have to also be good on your own of course.

Well, I think this is it.. As you now probably know, I'm a little bit confused :wacko:  I don't know where to start and with what. What seems realistic, what not, ...

What do you people think, is there any help for me? ^^ I'll take everything I'll get!

Thanks in advance,

Chris030

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:37 PM

A+ certification is the base IT certification.  Even if you don't take the exam the study materials will give you a good foundation.

For security take a listen or read the Security Now! podcasts.  You can pick and choose the ones that you're interested in learning.

Programing is one of my weak areas.  I know some BASIC, but that is about it.

#3 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:40 PM

Where can I find these study materials? Where can I start?

Are there some books/ebooks, sites, etc. ... you and other people would recommend?

Yeah, while I was reading through some topics here I saw you recommending these podcasts ;) I'll take a deeper look into that :)

Are there also books about Security so that I can get into it? Or videos maybe?

(I learn a lot by reading and watching videos)

Edited by Chris030, 03 July 2015 - 01:11 AM.

#4 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:14 AM

I found some study books on the CompTIA site itself but I don't know which one I should buy...

These are the suggested books:

- Complete CompTIA A+ Guide to PCs, 6th Edition - Pearson Education

- Mike Meyers' CompTIA A+ Certification Passport, Fifth Edition (Exams 220-801 & 220-802)

- CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Eighth Edition (Exams 220-801 & 220-802)

Do you also have other things I could learn from? any videos or pdfs/ebooks or something else?

Just in case I borrowed the CompTIA A+ complete study guide for the exams 220-701 & 220-702. Although it would be better to get a new one?

I also thought about starting to learn Java.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:04 PM

You can check out ITProTVTWiT has a 7 day free trail and 30% off code.  I haven't used it as I learn better from books and by doing.

I'm not a fan of virus cleaning, I'm a nuke and reload kind of guy.  Once a machine is infected you can no longer trust anything it tells you.  You can never be sure that the system is completely clean.  Though these days your files will be encrypted and you know you're done like dinner.

#6 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:54 PM

You can check out ITProTVTWiT has a 7 day free trail and 30% off code.  I haven't used it as I learn better from books and by doing.

Wow, nice, thanks!

Which book would you recommend? And by "doing" do you mean taking pcs apart or/and doing stuff on your pc?

I'm not a fan of virus cleaning, I'm a nuke and reload kind of guy.  Once a machine is infected you can no longer trust anything it tells you.  You can never be sure that the system is completely clean. Though these days your files will be encrypted and you know you're done like dinner.

Yeah, that's true...

I don't quite understand your last sentence though, what do you mean?

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:22 PM

For me things make more sense when I can see them in action.  That way I know what they look like when they are working and when they stop working I know what normal looks like.

I like the Exam Cram books like A+ and Network+.  Mostly because I have a good working knowledge and just need the holes filled in.   I don't know if they would be as effective for people starting from scratch.

The newer malware infections encrypt your files and then want you to send them $300 or more to get them back.  Since they are encrypted with good encryption there is no choice but to pay, unless you have a good back up.  The only other option is to hope that law enforcement captures their servers and makes the keys available.  Since they are raking in millions with this model expect it to stay around for a while.

Edited by Kilroy, 14 July 2015 - 05:23 PM.

#8 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:55 AM

For me it's a mixture of reading, watching and doing.

I think I would need the complete study guide just to make sure I won't miss anything and always have everything ready to look up.

I heard that the 220-901 & 220-902 would start soon, so there will be new books, should I wait for those?

Just out of curiosity, aren't there possibilities to get past the encryption? I presume it's just very very difficult as you don't know how exactly it has been done?

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:46 PM

Take a read or listen to Security Now! - Episode 374 - ECC - Elliptic Curve Cryptography.  Basically if encryption is done right there is very little chance of decrypting in your lifetime, which is why the government wants a law for a back door into any encryption.

I guess the real question you should ask is, "Am I going to use this certification any time soon?"  If the answer is no then don't bother taking the certification as it expires in a couple of years.  I got my A+ and Network+ when they didn't expire.

#10 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:59 PM

Ah, that's what I thought..

Thanks, listening/reading that later :)

I'll just work with the stuff I can get now and buy a book when the new ones come out.

Thanks!

#11 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:24 PM

I don't want to start a new topic just for this question so...

Does someone know when the actual A+ certification expires and the new one, 220-901 and 220-902?, will show up? And also the books?

I don't find clear answers, more like speculations about what will be changed and what not..

Edited by Chris030, 06 August 2015 - 03:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users