Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

start up problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 superking75

superking75

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:04 PM

I have a dell demention 4550. When I start up I get the safe mode or normal mode option, I choose normal and Get nothing frozzen on the screen. so i turn it off and open safe and get this frozen on the screen.

I really don't know what to do please help

Mod Edit:  Merged multiple topics, same system/issues - Hamluis.

The pc is slowish, But I really only want to run instant immersion.  t runs it ok kinda. I have done just about everything to speed it up but over clocking.

Will over clocking my pc help me. Well more inportantly will it work?

I have a slow dell dimention 4550 and an acer netbook.

I was wondering if it was posible to make a setup where the netbook supports the desktop helping to make it faster.

A little like a server. 

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 02 July 2015 - 03:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:31 PM

No offense but your machine is to far behind the times to make much of a difference.  Not sure of your budget but deals on used stuff can be found.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:35 PM

Non taken. Um Is their any thing that can Be dun to make it more or less focus on a program and do that one thing good.

If not In am not shocked.

I was suprised it even turned on the be honest.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:40 PM

Do you do reasonably frequent system maintenance?  There a re few things that can make "some" difference

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

Yes I do do system mantinence farly offten.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:59 PM

Isn't Instant Immersion a language tutor? How do you want it to run faster?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:06 PM

Dell Demention 4550 nor Dell will not support overclocked, that means do it at your own risk. Also, overclocked will shorten lifespan of the component because you are adding more voltage,clock speed,and heat. Matter of fact, i don't even think that you can do overclocked with that motherboard, because i know Dell love to restrict user from messing around CPU. 

#8 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:07 PM

load up time. It is taking forever to get up and switch between settings

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:32 PM

If you're meaning load time from hard drive or CD, the CPU has little effect on that, it's far more related to the speed and functionality of the storage device. An old hard drive is likely to be slow, and may be suffering from a high read error rate slowing things further.

What OS is on the system?

#10 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:44 PM

It runs windows Xp

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:21 AM

Not really.  Servers don't make client machines faster, they can off load some tasks, but that doesn't really apply in your situation..  Overclocking is not normally an option on a manufactured machine.

#12 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:38 AM

Overclocking requires 2 things.  1.  A CPU chip with an unlocked multiplier and 2.  A BIOS capable of changing the voltage and multiplier.  Manufactured pc's like Dell / HP / Acer do not offer the ability to do either of these.  Normally a cpu chip with an unlocked multiplier costs more so in order to keep cost down they do not put 'enthusiast' CPU's into their machines. So, No. it will not work.

#13 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:50 AM

Hello superking75, 

As far as I can tell these are the specifications of your machine: Dell Dimension 4550 (Pentium 4 2.66GHz, 256MB RAM, 60GB HDD) 

If that is the case, overclocking won't do much good for you and certainly won't speed up applications a whole lot. If you are interested in playing games it depends heavily on the game, in a CPU demanding game the performance boost is tangible. However the majority of games are GPU dependent so overclocking your CPU doesn't help them much. Same goes for heavy visual applications. You can probably clock your processor up to 3.0 GHz without cooling problems, but this is a rather complicated and risky process and wouldn't say it's worth. You're better off upgrading your RAM (adding another 256MB probably) and hard drive. That way everyday browsing, and usual applications would run faster certainly. 

Hope this was helpful, Citizen_WD

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:34 AM

Still without confirmation of the program operation and where loading is slow, one thing that XP can be a bit prone to if drives are having errors, is the IDE controller dropping to PIO mode. To check if this has happened, in Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, and for each IDE channel (or the Primary if only one exists), right click and choose Properties/Advanced Settings. For each device confirm the setting shows DMA if available. If any are showing PIO, try to change back to DMA.

PIO mode will result in slow drive performance. If a device keeps reverting to PIO mode, this indicates it is generating errors, and is nearing failure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users