Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question regarding network map

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mattylevan

mattylevan

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:48 PM

Hi,

I have a question regarding my internet connection, I have contacted my ISP (BT) and been advised that this is a Windows 7 issue not something they can help with. As you will see from the attached image the network map shows a total of six different connecting devices between the computer and the internet, however there are only two - or three if you count my set top box for the TV. 

What are all these extra devices and does the fact they are showing indicate a problem?

Cheers,

Matt

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 01 July 2015 - 02:19 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:51 PM

Question is do you have a Sky, BThub  or BRCM [Linksys]routers?

Diagram indicates the bthub and sky routers are coming off the Linksys.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:10 PM

You have to understand that inside a home router there are 2 devices. A router and a switch. That is what you are seeing. Each device has 2 things in it. So 3 devices = 6 actual devices.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 mattylevan

mattylevan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:36 AM

That makes sense I guess, still not sure why there is a SKY thing in  there when I don't have, and haven't ever had anything from that company.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:42 AM

Your TV connects via wireless to what?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 mattylevan

mattylevan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:46 AM

I have checked and the devices are BT Home Hub 3.0, a white box labelled BT openreach and a BT Youview box, nothing from SKY an nothing from BCRM.

#7 mattylevan

mattylevan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:47 AM

Sorry we crossed messages there, my TV connects to BT Youview - it is wired to the Youview box which is then linked back to the BT Home Hub via Powerline adaptors, not wireless.

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:21 PM

from the pc do a tracert yahoo.com and post the results for review

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:01 PM

BCRM is a chip set manufacturer. I suspect that the device labeled sky is as well. I have a big ? on my network map when I look at it on my server lol. I wouldn't worry too much.

#10 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:04 PM

It looks to me that your router has multiple components within it, and this is not uncommon. As CaveDweller said, there are two components to the router.  I would like to add that there may be more than that, depending on the device functions.  In this case it looks like you have a wireless function linking to a switch for all wireless devices (BT could mean Bluetooth, but I doubt it in this case).  Then you also have a hardline component, which is essentially another switch.  These two separate switches must talk to each other in order for traffic to move between them, so it looks like they were hard wired together with a HUB in the middle. So now the wireless traffic can touch the hard line traffic, which is where the inbound/outbound network traffic hits your ISP from. Personally I feel this is a bit of a mess, but it may have been done to increase the number of collision domains, since wireless tends to have a lot of those.  Or maybe it was to reduce a specific failure in their device that they identified.  I could guess at the reasoning all day and never be correct, but the network diagram shows that either you have multiple physical devices connected this way (but you said that you did not) or that this is the internal logical structure. 

Keep in mind that I said LOGICAL structure....this is how the network layer of the OSI model sees your network.  This does not mean that each is a separate device, rather a separate function.

Now, if you see another computer appear near your other wireless computer....then you may have a problem. Or is you see an unknown wire connecting to your router....but this is extremely unlikely. Right?

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:45 PM

Yeah, there can be more than two. I have DSL so my "gateway" is a modem, router, VoIP, and has a TV signal in there too. But it just shows as gateway on my map. =)

#12 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:55 PM

Confirmed.  My map shows one router not a router and a switch.

#13 mattylevan

mattylevan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:59 AM

I forgot this board is international and names may not be familiar to people. BT is the name of my internet service provider, SKY is also an ISP but not one I have ever used, which is why it concerned me as it makes it look as if someone else's device is in my network. However if you guys all think its fine then I'll go with that

#14 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:06 AM

As Wand3r3r asked, from the PC do a tracert yahoo.com and post the results. please

#15 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:02 AM

My home map looks more like yours.  I have a bridge to extend my wifi and a switch with a router for a rental off a vlan switch. 

Internet<>wifi router<>wifi bridge

Internet<>wifi router<>switch<>wifi router

Network map doesn't show the rental wifi router.  Shows my vlan switch as a hub and two switches and shows the wifi bridge as two units.

Windows 7 network map is crap.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 04 July 2015 - 11:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users