Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a list of compatible software?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:23 PM

Wondering if the MS programs I have on my 7 machines will still work in 10.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:00 PM

Run the Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant. It will say any potential compatibility problems with hardware and software. If you pass for 8.1 then you are good for 10. Do you have the icon in the system tray asking if you want to reserve your copy. You should be able to run the upgrade assitant from there.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/check-computer-runs-windows-10/

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:47 PM

Building such a list isn't really possible to be honest. There's just way too many software in existence to do that. Use the "Check your PC" feature of the "Get Windows 10" app like John indicated and you'll know if all your programs and drivers are compatible or if some needs a particuliar attention.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:33 PM

I spent a hour or so poking around the net to see what I could find, the Intowindows site said my Intel 3000 on board grapbhics would have issues otherwise it passed.  I will have to check the Acer mini, the tower should not have any problem.

I wanted to see if Office 2007 would be ok it seems so.

Thanks for the responses.

Phil

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:02 PM

Like I said, the best way to check for compatible programs would be to use the "Check your PC" feature of the "Get Windows 10" app but if it works out for you, then it's fine :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:05 AM

Wondering if the MS programs I have on my 7 machines will still work in 10.

Phil,

Yes.  Any exceptions will be rare.  The Check... Tool is THE thing to use but, basically if things run on 7 SP1 & or 8.1, will run on 10.

Problem w/ making a list is having enough paper & ink

Edited by Drew1903, 02 July 2015 - 02:37 AM.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:22 AM

Also, I recommend you to run that test again right before upgrading, just in case. This is mostly for people who have incompatible programs and drivers right now (so in a month, they can see if they are still incompatible) but even if everything is compatible right now, it won't hurt to do a last check just in case.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users