Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Error Recovery Loop(Windows7), Help Please !

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hcirnie

hcirnie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:44 AM

Greetings:

My computer froze during an update, upon restarting the computer I now I have a endless loop error.  :wacko:  A black screen appears with the following message.

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer.
2. Choose your language settings and click next.
3. Click "repair your computer"

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\config\system\

Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt."

The computer is a gateway zx6971-ub10p, No windows installation disc was included,

(I had previously made one but am unable to find it, also don't have the box/packaging anymore). I do not care about recovery anything on the computer, I just need to get the computer working again for school. :( 

Windows Memory Diagnostic found no problems, Various Safe Modes, Last Known Good Configuration, Start Windows Normally,etc... do nothing. 

Was going to try http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery but I don't even know my 25 character product key, no warranty from Gateway now, and no $ to take this thing somewhere. :killcomp: 

Is this computer toast?!?   :rip: 

If anyone could help me out I would be so grateful!!!

Edited by hcirnie, 01 July 2015 - 09:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

Looks like the computer can't find the registry:

Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt."

Several different things could cause this.  Start with these free, bootable hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

I suspect the hard drive, so be sure to run that test.  Also, run the MemTest86+ as I don't trust the results of the Windows Memory Diagnostic

Does the computer have a Windows sticker affixed to it?  If so, that'll contain the Windows Product Key

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hcirnie

hcirnie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:19 PM

the damn sticker has fallen off, i can't believe my luck. just a sticky spot on the back of the computer where it use to be attached! ill work on running those tests now and report back the results.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:55 AM

Without a product key your options for restoring the OS are rather limited.
Should you need to reinstall the OS, contact Gateway for a set of recovery disks:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html#gateway

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users