Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Smilesjon

Smilesjon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 02:40 PM

Ok I just installed a GeForce MX 4000 128MB DDR Graphics Card and looking around my system info i noticed that my ram had gone down from 512mb to 256bm. I have two separate 256 sticks of ram. After a restart it wouldnt accept one ram stick anymore (256mb ddr-266mhz). I uninstalled the video card and it still wouldnt accept the memory stick. I've tried starting up my computer with only the "bad" stick of ram and all I get is a blank screen. But the other stick works perfect. Could it be that my 256 stick of ram has gone bad? Is there something i can do to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:40 PM

first make sure that the ram is seated securely, if you have more than 2 slots (of the DDR variety) try the ram in different ones.

you may have lost the questionable stick coincidentally at the same time, or maybe you shocked it when installing the video card

judgeing by the components mentioned this seems to be an older system. the good news is that to replace one unit is under $20 on newegg,com or getting one 512mb stick is ~$40

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:58 AM

I agree with Gothmoq. I believe you have had a memory module failure. Install both modules and run MemTest86. It will tell you the status of each module.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users