Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New motherboard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stefchoto1

stefchoto1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:33 AM

So I want to buy a new CPU because my current one is too old, bad and sucky for gaming ( AMD Athlon II 240 2.81 GHz).I laid my eyes on the FX-4350, but I noticed that the socket that it hat is AM3+, and my current motherboard supports only AM3. So I need another motherboard, which would hold this FX-4350. I saw this N68C-GS4 FX, but I'm not entirely sure that it would be capable of supporting my current components. So in general, can the N68C-GS4 FX hold everything that N68-S holds?

My system specs

N68-S MOTHERBOARD

AMD x2 II 240 2.81GHz CPU

GTX 750 StormX 2GB DDR5 GPU

2x2GB DDR2 1607.1 MHz RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:58 AM

Yeah, but the GS4-FX can "hold" the FX series CPUs. If I were you, I would just go ATX.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: Biostar TA970 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $85.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-02 12:58 EDT-0400

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:18 PM

So in general, can the N68C-GS4 FX hold everything that N68-S holds?

Yes it can ^_^

That is a really interesting motherboard filled with a hodgepodge of backwards compatibility. Has DDR2 slots instead of DDR3, both IDE connectors and SATA connectors, and even the exact same expansion slot layout your current board has. Only real difference is the color and the fact that is can use the new CPU you want (and any 95watt or lower TDP AM3/AM3+ CPU). Pretty amazing find. 

Don't listen to that guy^ the board he wants you to get is unable to use your current DDR2 sticks, is a larger format so it may not even fit, and has no IDE HDD connector so if you're using a IDE drive as your main drive then you're screwed there as well. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,930 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:38 AM

If the OP buys a new motherboard, doesn't he also have to buy a new copy of Windows?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:11 AM

If the OP buys a new motherboard, doesn't he also have to buy a new copy of Windows?

No and yes. The motherboard drivers are embedded deep enough to the point where it will cause stability problems in windows. A fresh install is always recommended for new boards. However windows 8 has built in tools that reinstall all the core files without needing to buy a new copy. If budget is restrained and you're not using windows 8, doing a deep clean sweep on the old drivers and installing the new correct ones is the best you can hope for. Not perfect, but better then paying for another copy.

It will work though. 

Edited by SEANIA, 04 July 2015 - 11:11 AM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users