Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Swapping in new Users SSD to replace smaller SSD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Other Foot

Other Foot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:03 AM

I have a data drive, a Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD, that is configured as the location of all Users folders and files (AppData, Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, etc. - everything that is, by default, normally stored in the Windows sub-folder called Users). I had previously relocated this system folder to this data drive, while keeping the operating system (8.1) and program files on another Samsung 850 Pro SSD).

Copying all the data to the new, larger (1TB) drive is not a problem. But I want, when I'm all done, the new drive to become the same drive letter and same system drive designation that the current drive is (on E:). I'm not sure that is as simple as just unplugging the old drive and plugging the new one into the same cable. I mean, it would be great if that's all there is to it, but you know Windows. ;)

I should have realized the 512GB drive was going to fill up fast when I got into this photography habit (RAW files can easily be 50MB each and I like to go out shooting often). Musta parked on a dead brain cell.

Anyway, my computer specs are in my profile, if you need them. I'm hoping one of you smart ones will tell me it's an easy, painless swap.

Thanks,

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:13 AM

Although I don't think you will have a problem as you so pointed out .. this is windows... so you SHOULD be able to swap the drives out and if it is not the drive letter you want it to be then you can use disk management to change the drive letter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users