Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vcd fine on pc but choppy on tv

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Acharn

Acharn

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:34 PM

This is a weird problem. I have downloaded some videos of exercise routines from YouTube. They're in mp4 format. All of them are less than 700 MB. I have blank CD-Rs. I use DVD Flick for authoring and ImgBurn for burning the CDs. Some of them work fine. Some of them work fine when I view them on my PC, but when I try to play them on my TV the sound is chopped up. Sometimes I can figure out what is being said, but it's very unpleasant. Other cases it's just hopeless. I tried converting one to avi, but the result was the same when I burned it to disk.

DVD-Rs aren't really that expensive, and in one case it would even make sense to combine four videos on one DVD, with a menu to select from, but it offends my old-fashioned sense of aesthetics to use a 4.7GB DVD-R for a file that's only 41 MB. Any suggestions?

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:58 AM

The problem is that your PC has a different player than the TV.

I use HDMI, no more burning and no more converting...

If it plays good on the PC it plays good on the TV or any other screen !

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#3 Acharn

Acharn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:05 AM

Well, this is true, but other similar video clips make good VCDs, sharp, clear, good sound, synchronized with the video. I'm wondering if it has to do with the small size of the files. The ones I'm having trouble with are all less than 75 MB.  Wonder if there's any way to pad them up to a bigger file size. HDMI isn't a feasible solution for me because I'm not about to invest in building a home network just for half a dozen aerobic exercise CDs. I think I'll look for a newer DVD player -- the one I have is at least ten years old.

Edited by Acharn, 01 July 2015 - 10:08 AM.

#4 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:15 AM

If you have a TV and laptop with a HDMI port all you have to buy is a HDMI-cable...

Otherwise you can try to convert to MPEG-1 (.MPG .MPEG .MPE) or MPEG-2 (.VOB) as container with MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 as video codec and MPEG-1 (Layer I II or III) as audio codec. They are all "old" formats and codecs and I think they should play on any TV/DVD-player.

Free programs (with a learning curve) to do the converting : AVIdemux and XMedia Recode

Any paying video converter should work.

Or indeed buy a new DVD-player but thats not always the solution for every file-type or codec...

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#5 Acharn

Acharn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:50 PM

Well, I've tried converting to MPEG-1. Interestingly, my DVD player plays that without further processing into the VCD format, but it comes up as a menu item that I then have to select. The audio is fine, the video is lousy but acceptable. I just find this solution unpleasing. When I used DVD Flick to convert the .mpg file to VCD format I got the same choppy, jittery result. I didn't know about .VOB files being MPEG-2. Maybe I'll look further into that. I use ffmpeg, which is now called avconv in Linux (maybe in Windows, too, I haven't looked for that, but it's still available as ffmpeg for Windows). There used to be a great free program called VCDEasy, but it doesn't work on Windows 7. I've had AVIdemux on my computer but uninstalled it for some reason. I don't normally have to do that much file conversion, and I'm comfortable with ffmpeg for most purposes.

Running a cable from my computer to the TV set is not feasible because of the layout of my house. Also, I hate moving furniture. I'm talking about half a dozen VCDs, for goodness sake. If I can't make these work I'll just find something else, but I get obsessive and hate to be defeated by technology.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users