Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vaio Notebook Win 8.1 hangs at login screen,

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Piumartian

Piumartian

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:08 PM

My Wife's Sony Vaio notebook running Win 8.1,

now hangs at the login screen.  

Screen slow to appear from boot,

finally paints the login screen correctly, with her personalized photo, her name, and a rotating cursor.

but IO is not functional, mouse pad won't make the cursor move around the screen

rotating "circle" will rotate about 10 seconds, 

then quickly flash the input bar and we think it says "password hints", but disappears after 1/2 second, 

back to rotating cursor circle.  This repeats over and over.

Can only hard shut down.

This is first time it has ever done this. 

Last night, she was complaining of slow internet, but the rest of our laptops were normal speed.

You guys have saved me on other computers, including my own.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 reckonankit

reckonankit

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:24 AM

Try to restore your laptop for ealier time. May be you install some software reently who coems with malware and threast so avois recent install software check them all that you also have any browser new searc tool bar etc..

#3 Piumartian

Piumartian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:47 AM

More information:  the Vaio works with USB keyboard.  Works with USB mouse.   Now works with Touchpad.  But if I try using the Notebook keypad,  repeating keys constantly.  Is this a bad keyboard?  Or a bios or Win 8 upgrade issue?

Thanks

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:07 AM

Could be almost anything at this point.

FIrst, start with these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Make sure that you start with the malware scans and then work your way onwards.

If you have difficulty with any test, post back and we'll help to work through it.

If infected, I'd suggest posting over in the Am I Infected forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

If not infected, then try uninstalling the keyboard in Device Manager, then reboot and let it be re-detected.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users