Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 questions!

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:51 PM

Hello everyone, my name is Jerky McDilerino(I know is a funny name, but it's a legit name!). This is my 1st time on Bleepingcomputer forum, so if i done something wrong please feels free to correct me. So today, i have a questions regard Windows 10 and i know majority of you are exciting about Windows 10 and i do as well because i'm a gamer. So the questions are listed below, feel free to answer much of them as possible, because one by me i have no idea how to answer them. However, with you guys i can have more confidence about it. 

1)  If i'm planning to install Windows 10, will it delete all of my games and applications on Windows 8.1?

2)  Do i have to install all Windows updates and drivers?!

3)  Also, will it take up more spaces to install Windows 10 if i already have windows 8.1 on my SSD? To tell you the truth, i only have 128GB SSD not that much though

4)  What happen to my active AV protection during Windows 10 install and setup? Do i have to shut it down to prevent any major conflict during install and setup?

5)  How do i revert back to Windows 8.1 if i don't like Windows 10?

6)  Does Malwarebytes products support Windows 10? Such as Anti Malware,Anti Rootkit,and Anti Exploit?

7)  Does Windows 10 going to delete my Windows 8.1 during the Windows 10 setup?

8)  Also, how do i find the Windows 10 keys if Microsoft haven't give it to us or does it active automatically?

9)  How good is the new Microsoft browser? Are there any security enhance over the the Internet Explorer

11)  Will Windows 10 setup going to delete my current motherboard and graphics drivers?

12) If Windows 10 remove majority of my motherboard drivers, how can i tell which one does Windows 10 remove. Are they going to be a log text or something like that? 

Also, you can find me at Malwarebytes forum as well. Here is the link, https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/169957-windows-10-questions/

P.S: Daledoc1 suggest me to go here, so i will give a shot to see how it going.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:19 PM

Wow, that's a lot of questions. And there's no question #10.

1) If i'm planning to install Windows 10, will it delete all of my games and applications on Windows 8.1?

If you take the free upgrade to Windows 10 from your Windows 8.1 installation (using the Get Windows 10 app from the KB3035583) and that all your programs are compatible with Windows 10 (in the Get Windows 10 app, click on the Menu icon in the left-corner and use "Check your PC"), then no. All your programs and games will still be installed. If you decide to perform a clean installation or some programs are reported as incompatible by the "Check your PC" feature, then yes you'll need to reinstall them.

2) Do i have to install all Windows updates and drivers?!

If you upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and all your drivers are compatible, then no. If you do a clean installation or some of your drivers are reported as incompatible, you'll have to reinstall them (only the ones that are missing too).

3) Also, will it take up more spaces to install Windows 10 if i already have windows 8.1 on my SSD? To tell you the truth, i only have 128GB SSD not that much though

It will take more space if you upgrade, yes. If you upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1, a folder called windows.old containing your old Windows 8.1 installation will be created at the root of the C: drive. You can safely delete it after however (you can use the Windows Disk Clean-up tool for that). If you do a clean installation, it won't take more space, no.

4) What happen to my active AV protection during Windows 10 install and setup? Do i have to shut it down to prevent any major conflict during install and setup?

It's suggested to disable your Antivirus and Antimalware protections before an upgrade, althought if your Antivirus or Antimalware isn't reported as problematic by the "Check your PC" feature, it should be good even if it's enabled.

5) How do i revert back to Windows 8.1 if i don't like Windows 10?

You'll have to do a clean installation: wipe Windows 10 and install Windows 8.1, or you can use the Windows Rollback feature (assuming it'll still be there in the official release).

6) Does Malwarebytes products support Windows 10? Such as Anti Malware,Anti Rootkit,and Anti Exploit?

Malwarebytes products aren't officially compatible with Windows 10, but according to the users, they work on the builds so far. So for now, they are in an "experimental" state until Malwarebytes officialize them.

7) Does Windows 10 going to delete my Windows 8.1 during the Windows 10 setup?

If you do the upgrade, the old Windows 8.1 installation will be stored in the windows.old folder on the C: drive.

8) Also, how do i find the Windows 10 keys if Microsoft haven't give it to us or does it active automatically?

If you upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, the product key currently in use will be used for the upgrade. If you do a clean installation, you have to grab your product key from your current installation and insert it manually.

9) How good is the new Microsoft browser? Are there any security enhance over the the Internet Explorer

I didn't test Microsoft Edge enough to answer that question.

11) Will Windows 10 setup going to delete my current motherboard and graphics drivers?

See my reply to question #2.

12) If Windows 10 remove majority of my motherboard drivers, how can i tell which one does Windows 10 remove. Are they going to be a log text or something like that?

I doubt there will be a log, but you'll see them in the Device Manager (they'll show under a category called Other Devices).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:16 PM

Thanks, also you mentioned that i can delete Windows 8.1 folder if i want to, but my Windows 8.1 have all my motherboard and graphic drivers, and if i delete the Windows 8.1 do i have to reinstall all my drivers because Windows 10 does not have them? Also, can you take a look at my desktop picture to see if there any incompatible apps? Microsoft "Check Your PC" does not tell me which apps are compatible or incompatible. Here is the imgur link, http://imgur.com/s5gNSc5

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 01 July 2015 - 06:17 PM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:18 PM

Everything that will be in the windows.old folder can be deleted. Your drivers won't be located there so you won't have to reinstall them at all. They'll be in the Windows folder. Also, the "Check your PC" app cameback clean, which means all your programs and drivers are compatible for Windows 10.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:59 PM

Everything that will be in the windows.old folder can be deleted. Your drivers won't be located there so you won't have to reinstall them at all. They'll be in the Windows folder. Also, the "Check your PC" app cameback clean, which means all your programs and drivers are compatible for Windows 10.

Alright, by the way have i seen you on Emsisoft support forum before? My is Jerky McDilerino on Emsisoft support forum. 

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:02 PM

Yes, I'm als on Emsisoft Support Forum. I report undetected samples.

unite_blue.png

#7 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:15 PM

Oh alright, also why i can't change my profile picture? 

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:25 PM

There's currently a bug where some users cannot change their profile picture. You can try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576226/how-do-you-set-an-avatar/#entry3736609

If it doesn't work, send a PM to Animal, he'll give you instructions.

unite_blue.png

#9 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:50 PM

As to the No. 5 question, I think, I will backup the old system with free easus todo backup. If things go wrong, I can roll back to the old perfect Win 7.

I strongly suggest you to do this. You can restore the system and applications without reinstalling.

#10 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:32 AM

• Well, this should be fun ;)

1)  If i'm planning to install Windows 10, will it delete all of my games and applications on Windows 8.1?
    No, everything is carried over if via Upgrade.  If Custom (clean) then, will have to reload.

2)  Do i have to install all Windows updates and drivers?!
    No. Win10 is very smart & will take care of pretty much everything for you by itself.  If you have the Home version it will manage all Updates.  Have WU set to Auto

3)  Also, will it take up more spaces to install Windows 10 if i already have windows 8.1 on my SSD? To tell you the truth, i only have 128GB SSD not that much though
    I have a 128 SSD myself.  You will be fine w/ that... although I trust I can safely assume Data is being stored elsewhere.

4)  What happen to my active AV protection during Windows 10 install and setup? Do i have to shut it down to prevent any major conflict during install and setup?
    Are you using some 3rd Party security?  You just leave things be.  I would recommend using the security native to the OS, embedded & ON, by default... 3rd Party products shut it off.

5)  How do i revert back to Windows 8.1 if i don't like Windows 10?
    Clean (Custom) install 8.1.  But, it is not a matter of "like".  No OS prior to Win10 will endure.  10 is the last Windows OS so itwill be wise to stick w/ it for the long-term.  Plus you are going to like it more than 8.1

6)  Does Malwarebytes products support Windows 10? Such as Anti Malware,Anti Rootkit,and Anti Exploit?
    Yes.  God forbid we should ever have to give up Malwarebytes.

Yes, could express it, that way, sure.  During and after; one has replaced the other.

8)  Also, how do i find the Windows 10 keys if Microsoft haven't give it to us or does it active automatically?
    Can't articulate the exact 'mechanics', right now.  but, you will have a License Key.  As per the status quo would insert when a clean install... Upgrade may (probably) be auto.  Will, also, have the ISO.  That can be burn to DVD & use if ever necessary to rebuild via Custom install (on the same machine).

9)  How good is the new Microsoft browser? Are there any security enhance over the the Internet Explorer
    Extremely good & yes to the 2nd question.  Edge is more stable & reliable than IE, more secure than IE & faster than IE... plus is has some REALLY cool Features not in IE, @ all.

People have been asking, "What happened to '9'?... now, they are going to ask, "What happened to 10?"  How ironic!  jerky, did you do that on purpose... pretty humourous if you did  ( sssh, just say yes & take the credit)

•  

11)  Will Windows 10 setup going to delete my current motherboard and graphics drivers?
    NO... it will need them, it's going to be needing to use them so it better not delete them, lol

See question #11 OR answer #11 (teehee)

Yep, that was fun :)

Edited by Drew1903, 02 July 2015 - 02:35 AM.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:25 AM

6) Does Malwarebytes products support Windows 10? Such as Anti Malware,Anti Rootkit,and Anti Exploit?
Yes. God forbid we should ever have to give up Malwarebytes.

Yes the products supports Windows 10 but unofficially. It's something really important to mention.

unite_blue.png

#12 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:08 PM

•  

People have been asking, "What happened to '9'?... now, they are going to ask, "What happened to 10?"  How ironic!  jerky, did you do that on purpose... pretty humourous if you did  ( sssh, just say yes & take the credit)

•  

I was eating man, you can't tell how it feels when i'm eating 3 bbq chicken sandwich with purple onion, 2 mountain dew drinks, 2 croissant donuts, 2 salad dressings, 5 chicken strips with bbq sauce, and BANANAS! Boy i was in heaven at that time, and i think i accident ate the number 10 as well. I doubt you are drooling right now. 

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 02 July 2015 - 08:12 PM.

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:49 AM

No, definitely not.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:59 AM

Thanks everyone for putting your effort to answer all of these questions! With multiple answers from you guys, i'm now have confidence for Windows 10. Thanks and appreciate a lot you guys!.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:07 AM

No problem Jerky, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users