Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC/Safe-mode/recovery mode won't boot (stuck at windows logo)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tek123

Tek123

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:55 PM

Hi, today I decided to restart my PC but it got stuck at the "logging off" screen, so I just held down power button to turn it off.

When I tried turning it back on, it got stuck at the windows logo. Safe-mode won't work, nor will system recovery.

Note: I had not made any hardware changes in the past 3 years. I also don't think I have made any big software changes in the past couple of weeks.

I was reinstalling different versions of firefox because I was having flash issues (FF and Flash arent very compatible on some of the newer FF versions)

So I installed 30.0 and it asked me reboot to finish the installation and here I am. I don't think it's related, might be just a coincidence.

Safe-mode gets stuck while loading components. Notably at storport.sys (not sure if I spelt that right) PC does not auto re-boot.

System recovery freezes after a while during the © Mircosoft Corporation screen with green loading bar. PC does not auto re-boot.

The little light that flickers when the PC is doing something is not lighting up during the loading screens. It flickers for the first couple of seconds and then just stops (or very faintly flicks every 3-4 secs) The loading screen animation then freezes after ~10-15 seconds.

Information about my PC:

• HP prebuilt "HPE-210y" from summer of 2010
  • AMD phenom II 945 x4 3000mhz
  • HD5770 (upgraded from HD5450)
  • 8GB RAM
  • 1TB HDD

(full specs on the build I have is here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02016581 )

Please help me. :( I am totally not prepared for this. :/

Edited by Tek123, 30 June 2015 - 08:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tek123

Tek123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:41 PM

Sorry to double post...

Tried reseating the RAM, no luck...

Tried booting recovery mode from a rescue disk I made a couple years ago, same result...

Picture:
http://imgur.com/qw4Sdml

Freezes right there after 15~20 seconds...

#3 Tek123

Tek123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:32 PM

Update... apologies for the triple post...

Looks like it is my HDD. I tried the HP diagnostic tools option (I forgot this existed, first time using it) at initial splash screen and these were the results:
http://imgur.com/dRj0UhJ

in the results screen, HDD fails the test and the error reads as BIOHD-8

I did a search on the internet and it says the HDD needs to be replaced, yet there are posts saying it's related to the motherboard.. what?

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:33 PM

You computer may have damage NTFS file system if you have Windows OS installation DVD you can execute Chkdsk D: /r command to repair the files system and bad sectors.

Edit: Well it looks like your computer HDD did not pass S.M.A.R.T diagnostic you should backup your data on the HDD.

Edited by FreeBooter, 30 June 2015 - 08:35 PM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#5 Tek123

Tek123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:54 PM

My prebuilt didn't come with an OS installation DVD, so I don't think I can do that.

The only disks I have (which I made) were:

A rescue disk that includes some recovery tools

3 Recovery disks that I believe puts the OS back to factory installation.

How can I backup my HDD if I can't boot up the OS in any mode? Sorry, first time dealing with an issue like this.

I'll be buying a new HDD fairly soon.

Edited by Tek123, 30 June 2015 - 08:55 PM.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:00 PM

You can use live Linux from USB Flash Drive and backup your data from Linux OS to external storage device.

Visit below URL to create and run Ubuntu from a USB stick. I must say there is no grantee you will able to access HDD from Linux OS if its no longer functioning.

How to create a bootable USB stick on Windows

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Edited by FreeBooter, 30 June 2015 - 09:00 PM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#7 Tek123

Tek123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:40 PM

Thanks, I'll try that in an hour or so and report back. :) Just gotta find my USB drive.

By the way, if the OS is not retrievable from the old HDD, how can I get w7 onto my HDD without buying a new disc?

I have the serial here, it's printed on a sticker and they (HP) placed it on the side of my PC case. Will the serial work on any Windows 7 (Home prem) ISO installer? (assuming it's provided online from a legitimate source) Sorry, huge noob here lol.

Edited by Tek123, 30 June 2015 - 09:41 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,256 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:38 PM

If you know someone with another Windows 7 computer you can ask them to create a System Repair Disk. Using that you can do a chkdsk, startup repair, or system restore. But, your priority should be to recover your data first.

I am leaning to what FreeBooter posted, possible file system corruption.

For this kind of file recovery I like Puppy linux. It is a small download. The File Manager is a little different. On the Puppy desktop you will see your hard drives labeled sda... sdb... depending on how many drives you have. You will see sda1... sda2.. depending on how many partitions are on the hard drive. When you click on the drive icon a File Manager will open. Attach your USB flash drive or external drive and a USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and another File Manager Window will open. On the hard drive you can select files/folders using Ctrl + left click to highlight or you can left click and drag a window around the files/folders. Drag the highlighted folders from the Hard Drive File Manager Window to the USB File Manager Window. A small dialog box will appear asking if you want to copy or move. Select Move and check the Quiet box.

I recommend you recover your files first before you try the following. Depending on the drive that needs a chkdsk, open a terminal in Puppy and type the following commands depending on how many partitions are on the hard drive. After doing this reboot the computer without the Puppy disk and Windows should preform a chkdsk.

ntfsfix /dev/sdXx   Where X is the letter and x is the partition number. If the disk has three partitions i.e. sda1 sda2 sda3 you would type

ntfsfix /dev/sda1  <enter>

ntfsfix /dev/sda2  <enter>

ntfsfix /dev/sda3  <enter>

This set the hard disk to preform a chkdsk at reboot but again it would be best to recover your data first as a chkdsk can go bad.

Your hard drive failed the smart test but it would be interesting to find out which attribute failed.

#9 Tek123

Tek123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:11 PM

If you know someone with another Windows 7 computer you can ask them to create a System Repair Disk. Using that you can do a chkdsk, startup repair, or system restore. But, your priority should be to recover your data first.

Hi, I tried using a system repair disk that I made a long time ago... it'll go through the whole "windows is loading files" screen, but then it freezes right here after about 10~15 seconds.:
http://imgur.com/qw4Sdml

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I went into the boot options and told the PC to load the CD on boot.

As for the rest of your reply, I'll try Puppy Linux in a bit.

Edited by Tek123, 30 June 2015 - 11:19 PM.

#10 Tek123

Tek123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:50 PM

Update:
I managed to get into my HDD via Ubuntu (launched with flash drive)

However, when I try to drag the files I want to salvage from my dying HD, I get "this destination is read-only" error. I'm trying to drag the files onto a CD that I know is not set to read-only. I tried searching on google, but I couldn't find any helpful results. :/

Any idea how to overcome this?

Edited by Tek123, 30 June 2015 - 11:51 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,256 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:40 AM

I don't believe you can copy files to a CD in Ubuntu. You have a better chance using a USB flash drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users