Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Friend dropped desktop, now it's not booting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zainin

Zainin

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:51 PM

Alright, I was handed off this computer to repair, and this is all the info I have.

My friend was moving her desktop computer. It WAS on. It got dropped while on. She says after she heard the HD clicking.

Now, when you try to power it, it "turns on" but the monitor doesn't turn on. I verified that the monitor is working by plugging it into my own computer. I reseated every connection. I unplugged every device unnecessary for booting to see if any were culprit and it wasn't booting up still. All the fans turn on, the hard drive whirrs, but the monitor isn't picking the PC up. I have spare parts and I tried, one at a time, a new HD, a new graphics card, etc, and none of them worked. I plugged the hard drive into my own PC and it seems to be working.

The only conclusion I can draw is that the CPU or mobo got broken on the impact, but I'm hoping that's not it as she doesn't have the funds to replace it right now and she needs it for working. Does anyone have any other ideas, or any way to check for sure which it is? I couldn't see any physical damage on them, but my eyes also aren't the best.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:18 PM

The first thing to try would be reseating anything connected to the motherboard, RAM, Video Card, hard drive cables.  Just pull the part or connector and put it right back.  After you've done everything try and boot it.

#3 Zainin

Zainin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:32 PM

As mentioned in my first post, I reseated everything already.

Edited by Zainin, 30 June 2015 - 09:38 PM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:43 AM

You could try pulling everything off the board except the power and ram, pull all cards except video (hope it has onboard) and unhook the HD. leave the monitor hooked up.  Boot see if it shows a bios screen, bios is on the board it will show the board survived. 

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:48 AM

Did you re-seat and re-connect the CPU and HSF?

#6 Zainin

Zainin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:54 PM

You could try pulling everything off the board except the power and ram, pull all cards except video (hope it has onboard) and unhook the HD. leave the monitor hooked up.  Boot see if it shows a bios screen, bios is on the board it will show the board survived. 

I tried this already- the screen still doesn't boot up.

I did indeed reconnect and reset the HSF and CPU. That didn't do anything different.

Unfortunately I am figuring it's the mobo at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users