Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

99% positive I have a virus that Malwarebytes isn't detecting

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mikelynch

mikelynch

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:33 PM

Hello,

Some quick background: I am generally pretty good with computers, and own an external hard drive where I keep all of my files. I regularly erase my drive and reload/re-install everything from my external hard drive. These are not new files I am working with either. The files I install are the same ones every time.This is a process that I have done perhaps 50 or 60 times, and have the routine down pat.

Symptoms:

- Very slow internet. 400 kb/s when digitally downloading my games off of Steam; normally the speed of these downloads is anywhere from 1.5 mb/s to 6 mb/s. The speeds are equally slow whether loading a webpage or downloading a small 2 mb file. It is as if something is using up my bandwith. I reset the modem to no avail.

- Windows explorer locking up when transfering very small files (1.2 mb) and I cannot cancel without further freezing the computer.

- Programs I normally can install without a hitch are offering odd reasons not to allow installation (ex: Office won't install because my "language is not supported"), others simply never load the installation when I click setup. If I try to install these exact files directly from my external hard drive they work as they normally do; if I try to install from the exact same file on my C drive then they refuse to function properly.

- Random slowness of installed programs for no explicable reason.

Malwarebytes and Norton (my trusty sidekicks) are not detecting anything. I suspect that the culprit is DAEMON TOOLS. This is the only program that is different on this particular system recovery than the last ones; all of the other files are the same. I am fully aware that Daemon Tools carries adware/spyware programs like OpenCandy PUP that normally causes all of these symptoms on my computer, but normally these are easily detected by Malwarebytes and all symptoms immediately cease. This time around I have uncovered the OpenCandy PUP (as I normally do) but this time the symptoms associated with it have persisted despite quarantining and deleting it.

Before this particular system recovery I obtained a new file of Daemon Tools to replace my old one hoping that this file would be free of adware/spyware. As stated, this was the only new file that I have introduced into my system recovery process, and as also stated it has a dubious reputation as far as malware goes. I am sure Daemon Tools is the culprit, and have decided to forever ditch it in favor of a new mounting tool (Virtual Clone Drive), but this still leaves me with what appears to be a malware ridden hard drive. Since Malwarebytes and Norton aren't detecting the problem, I am unsure what to do.

System tools used so far: Malwarebytes, Norton, Spybot Search & Destroy

Edited by mikelynch, 30 June 2015 - 05:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users