Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound drivers must be reinstalled every morning to get sound

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:39 PM

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 445 Processor 3.1 Ghz

Mobo: ECS A780LM-M2

Sound card: mobo onboard sound (No separate sound card in PCI slot)

I've been running this set up since I built it about 4 years ago. Nothing special but it does everything I need it to do. I almost always shut my computer down every night and power it up in the morning. For the last week or so, when I power it up in the morning, I have no sound. There are no errors popping up and nothing new has been added to the computer (neither software or hardware) for the last 2 weeks. When I check the Sound settings (right click the volume control in the task bar and click SOUND), I find that the speakers are not set as the default source under the Playback tab. The Handset (USB Internet phone by Tigerjet or magicJack) is the default. I can switch the default source to the speakers, but there is still no sound. The first day that this happened, I found that uninstalling the sound drivers, rebooting, and letting Windows reinstall the drivers brings the sound back. It works just fine until I shut it down at night and restart it in the morning. Then, it starts all over again. Been going on for 7 to 10 days now, every single day.

My first thought was that magicJack was causing the problem, so I took it out of the Windows startup list. That didn't help. I have not tried uninstalling magicJack yet though I am planning on trying that tonight. If magicJack has anything to do with it, a full uninstall using Revo uninstaller should fix this problem.

If I uninstall the drivers at night before shutting it down, it will boot up in the morning and reinstall the drivers with no issue. The only thing I could add is that after Windows reinstalls the sound drivers successfully, the Handset (magicJack) still comes up as the default sound source.

I used to be a great troubleshooter for PC issues like this, but apparently, my troubleshooting skills have become a little rusty in my older age.

UPDATE: Uninstalling magicJack had no affect. Still no sound this morning. Further troubleshooting has found that the sound goes away on a simple restart, not just a shutdown. Sound drivers have to be reinstalled every time the PC reboots. There is a red X on the speaker in the taskbar that says "The Audio Service is not running". A check of Windows Audio Service shows it is STARTED and set to auto. Stopping and restarting the service does nothing. Only reinstalling the drivers. Hibernating/sleeping the PC doesn't seem to affect the sound. It's still working when the PC wakes up.

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by possumbarnes, 01 July 2015 - 03:11 PM.

What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users