Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Loading Operating System

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 halomunkey

halomunkey

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 11:58 AM

Hi

I just installed vista onto my computer probably a few days ago and it was working fine. Before that I was trying to partition my hard drive so I can keep my windows xp files and use vista at the same time. well it erased the windows xp and didnt create the other partition so I was left to either installing a new xp or vista....I chose vista for some odd reason.....

but to my problem....

well yesterday I decided to stop being lazy and install xp in a different partition. so I booted the windows xp cd and created a new partition using it, it restarts but it doesnt continue the installation....so I tried to install it again but after it reboots it wouldnt continue. So then I tried to boot to vista and I get "error loading operating system"

I tried using ptedit to see if it was hidden but vista was active. So I decided that maybe deleting the partition would work so I deleted it and I still keep getting the same message.

any remedies?

thanks

btw I want it back because I have tons of important files on it.(so stupid shouldve just installed xp in the first place....)
thanks again!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 halomunkey

halomunkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:49 PM

anybody??? :huh:

#3 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:58 PM

There has been a known issue of putting XP on after Vista...

:because Vista uses a "Boot Manager" instead of the good ole boot.ini, this seems to be a conflict when later adding a older OS.
-This issue should be fixed in later builds-

"GPEDIT enum all" may help a bit when in CMD in WinRE (off of the DVD)
JU$T1N~1

#4 halomunkey

halomunkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 02:12 PM

so just go to win repair (on vista or xp?) and in cmd type "gpedit enum all"???

Edited by halomunkey, 10 July 2006 - 02:14 PM.

#5 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 02:37 PM

Boot from the Vista DVD, and load Command Prompt from the first option menu... then type the above.

Also: The Startup Repair feature (when booted from the DVD) might be helpfull...
JU$T1N~1

#6 halomunkey

halomunkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 03:01 PM

Boot from the Vista DVD, and load Command Prompt from the first option menu... then type the above.

Also: The Startup Repair feature (when booted from the DVD) might be helpfull...

yeah I tried startup repair didnt work.....ill try gpedit enum all and tell you what happens

btw what does that do???

Edited by halomunkey, 10 July 2006 - 03:01 PM.

#7 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:05 PM

Its going to show a list of Operating Systems / Partitions / What and How they boot and other info...

Take a good look at it and see if you can figure out which one is your XP

Then compare it to your vista and you might notice that its not loading something.\

~if you cant make anything of it, try and copy the information and post it back here...
JU$T1N~1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users