Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2007 does not download email from Charter.net

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dfsmith48

dfsmith48

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:27 AM

Greetings.  

Setup:  Windows 7.  Charter.net internet provider with email.  Outlook 2007.  Charter email account SMTP/IMAP  set up with portals 143 and 25.  Incoming email imap.charter.net.  Outgoing email smtp.charter.net.  Still active email account Bresnan.net POP/SMTP.  Malwarebytes.  Windows Security Essentials.

The problem.  Email to my Charter.net email account does not appear in Outlook 2007 unless I close Outlook, reopen Outlook, and click on Inbox.  I know that messages have reached Charter because i can see them at the Charter.net web site.  Clicking Send/Receive in Outlook does not retrieve new emails.  When I click Send/Receive I see activities bresnan.net sending, bresnan.net receiving, charter.net sending but NO charter.net receiving.   New emails appear at my Bresnan and Gmail addresses normally.

Do I have a wrong setting?  Is this a known problem with the Charter server?

Thanks for your advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:49 AM

Have you checked this to make sure it is enabled?

SSL: This setting should be On for both SMTP and IMAP.

#3 dfsmith48

dfsmith48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:02 AM

Sorry, not familiar with SSL.  Where is this setting?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:14 AM

I don't use Outlook but I did find this. If this information is incorrect someone who does use Outlook 2007 will be able to help you find it.

Go to Tools > Account Settings.

· Select the email account and click on Change.

· Click on More Settings.

· Under Advanced tab, you have the option to select encryption standard for incoming and outgoing server.

#5 dfsmith48

dfsmith48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:36 AM

Queen-Evie thanks for your replies.  Encryption for both SMTP and IMAP are set at None.  Note that I do receive email to Outlook, but only after I close and reopen the program, which seems weird.  I have not recognized a setting that would affect the program in this manner.  BTW I have set the automatic send/receive for all accounts at 10 minutes.

#6 dfsmith48

dfsmith48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:40 AM

Also, the close/reopen maneuver is only necessary for Charter, not Bresnan.  The Send/Receive command in Outlook works for Bresnan, but not Charter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users