Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to reinstall Vista on disk problem

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:47 AM

Dell Dimension 9200, SATA HDD, Vista Home Premium. When I get to the Install Windows screen, first screen shows Disk 0 Partition 2 Primary and

"Windows is unable to to find a system volume that meets it criteria for installation", searched the net as usual but can't find a proper answer for this, help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,586 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:03 AM

Hi mystic12 :)

There's a well written Microsoft Article that explains what that issue is, what causes it and how to solve it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/933925?wa=wsignin1.0

If you don't understand how to solve it, let me know.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:09 AM

See this KB page. I think you need to wipe the drive as it seems you have a partition current on the drive. When you get to to the first screen of the Vista install press shift + F10 to get a command prompt then type the following

Diskpart

list disk

select disk 0       If you only have one disk on the computer

clean                 this will delete the drives partition table. using clean all  will zero out the drive.

convert mbr       you may get an error. If so disregard and continue with the following commands

create partition primary

select partition 1

format fs=ntfs label=(any name you want)

assign letter C:

exit

Then start the install

Sorry, missed Aura's post.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 June 2015 - 10:09 AM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,586 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:10 AM

All good John, at least you provided instructions for diskpart, I didn't :P

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:12 AM

I had visited that exact article but there isn't a "This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu message like this?

Alright John, I will try the instructions.

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:24 AM

format fs=ntfs label=(user)

After I type the above line the above it is showing "There is no volume specified Please select a volume and try again"

It is also showing "The disk you specified is not GPT formatted. Please select an ampty GPT disk to convert"

Isn't this the same deal as with a couple of laptops in the past where we had used Parted Magic to format the disk John? If yes, might be easier for me to do now?

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,586 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:29 AM

Try only these commands (after entering diskpart):
  • select disk 0
  • clean
  • exit
Then select the only partition you have to install Windows Vista on it.

unite_blue.png

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:45 AM

Looks like the computer has UEFI which requires a a GPT disk. If Vista still does not install after Aura's instructions then instead of Convert MBR use the command

convert GPT 

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:13 AM

None of those worked on the disk guys, I am going to use the Parted Magic now, get back to you.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,586 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:18 AM

I'm surprised to see such an old computer with UEFI to be honest.

unite_blue.png

#11 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:39 AM

I used Partition Editor in Parted Magic to format to GPT but now I on the Install Windows Screen I see this error message:

This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the Disj's controller is enabled in the BIOS's menu

I went into the BIOS under Drives and check and the disk controller is in the ON position, any ideas please?

Aura, I don't see any UEFI entry in there.

Edited by mystic12, 30 June 2015 - 11:40 AM.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,586 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:41 AM

How are you trying to install Windows Vista? From a CD, DVD or a USB Flash Drive?

unite_blue.png

#13 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:45 AM

DVD

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,586 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:55 AM

If you go in the BIOS, what is the "Hard Drive Controller Mode" set at, AHCI or IDE?

unite_blue.png

#15 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:01 PM

Under DRIVES, I am not seeing Hard Drive Controller Mode, all it shows is

Controller Details:

Controller = Serial ATA

Port = SATA-0