Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Reinstalling Windows 8.1 on HP laptop?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gacl_*

Guest_gacl_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:44 AM

Hello all, I have an hp laptop with windows 8 installed.  I would like to reinstall it to sell the laptop.  Like many OEM laptops it has a windows 8 sticker with a product key on the bottom.  Since that key is currently in use in the laptop right now and it's an OEM copy of windows will I be able to put in that key and have windows be activated after I reinstall?  Or will it say that the key is invalid or already in use?  If it won't work then how can I make that key on the bottom work?  Thanks for any help you guys can give! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,954 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:58 AM

That key on the bottom might not be your Microsoft license. You can extract your license by running;

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Guest_gacl_*

Guest_gacl_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:02 AM

Yes but If I reinstall will that key work to activate windows, since the key is already being used currently in the laptop?  Thanks!

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:18 AM

What OS are you running in that laptop right now?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:25 AM

Hi gacl :)

If you that laptop came with Windows 8 preinstalled, the product key is embedded in the BIOS and Windows will grab it automatically during the reinstallation process. You can also do a "Factory Reset" on your laptop if you still have a Recovery partition or the Recovery CD/DVD that came with it. The instructions to do this can be found in the link below:

http://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c03546603

Let me know if you have any questions :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Guest_gacl_*

Guest_gacl_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:57 AM

Hi gacl :)

If you that laptop came with Windows 8 preinstalled, the product key is embedded in the BIOS and Windows will grab it automatically during the reinstallation process. You can also do a "Factory Reset" on your laptop if you still have a Recovery partition or the Recovery CD/DVD that came with it. The instructions to do this can be found in the link below:

http://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c03546603

Let me know if you have any questions :)

Ok thanks so much.  So i can just use any windows 8 iso and it will pick it up during reinstallation?

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:06 AM

Yes you can. You can get it directly from Microsoft too.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Guest_gacl_*

Guest_gacl_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:38 AM

Yes you can. You can get it directly from Microsoft too.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

OK sounds good.  And just incase it doesn't pick it up, what should I do?  Is there any way I can be sure that it will pick it up?  Thanks!

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:41 AM

I can tell you that it'll pick it up. Otherwise we can grab it manually from the BIOS and enter it to activate Windows.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users