Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

JRt removes duckduckgo. Why

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jraju

jraju

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:17 AM

Hi, I downloaded thisusu's jrt and scanned. while scanning, it usually scans and remove the PUPs and malware. I recently tried duckduckgo browser, and searching instead of google search engine, which is storing all the private information. But, after scan, this search engine was removed by JRT. As I downloaded most programs from Bleeping computers, I raise this query.

It seems that thisusu only recognizes the ie,firefox and chrome browsers and removes any other browsers. Of course, the duckduckgo, does not have a separate browser but I think it is a harmless browser, unlike Babylon , incredible , or mysearch browser hijacks. Would any one throw light on it. I do not know how to write in thisusu.org.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jraju

jraju
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:38 AM

Hi, I wish to add that the author of the tool has conveyed to improve this in his next version. But i have now a doubt, How to limit the browser of this tool to check the browser. I had the experience of having unwanted browser hijacks, from many of the injected browsers from downloads from different site, including cnet, (even if i select custom installation)

I normally use this tool to remove unwanted PUPs. I do not want thisusu.org to allow the search engine, which they actually do not have like duckduckgo. They occupy a place in the search browser either in ie, ff and chrome as i have already mentioned. What i want to know, whether this search engine is also a kind of PUP or not. that is the crux of the matter. If i say that inclusion of this kind of behaviour, then browser hijackers which are controlled by this wonderful program would attempt to enter thro the exception of so such browsers. I do not know, how thisusu sends a mail to me instead of writing in this forum. This will help many.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:19 AM

Hi jraju :)

DuckDuckGo isn't a PUP. It's a legitimate search engine axed on privacy and anonymity and often suggested as an alternative to Google. If thisisu already replied to your question here, then you should ask him your other questions directly via PM :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,558 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:20 PM

You can ask the developer (thisisu) a question, report an issue or suggestion in this topic which he monitors for issues with JRT. You can also send a private message (PM) directly to thisisu.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 jraju

jraju
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:45 AM

I do not want to PM anybody. I think that this is a forum that deals even with the software downloaded from its site. I do not either suspect duckduckgo. If i say that this may be allowed in his next version. Then other who supposed to have suspicious browser, but say it is not so, could also apply the same logic.

I think that if i air something, some may notice and answer in this forum and not to pm me. I am a user of this product and hence my query on this. Now everybody is having clear idea of my query. My second reply  to the question clearly clarifies it

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,558 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:54 AM

Your issue is for the developer to address, not forum members of staff. As such I have notified thisisu with a link to this topic.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:29 AM

Hi, I downloaded thisusu's jrt and scanned. while scanning, it usually scans and remove the PUPs and malware. I recently tried duckduckgo browser, and searching instead of google search engine, which is storing all the private information. But, after scan, this search engine was removed by JRT. As I downloaded most programs from Bleeping computers, I raise this query.

It seems that thisusu only recognizes the ie,firefox and chrome browsers and removes any other browsers. Of course, the duckduckgo, does not have a separate browser but I think it is a harmless browser, unlike Babylon , incredible , or mysearch browser hijacks. Would any one throw light on it. I do not know how to write in thisusu.org.

Hi,

Sorry about the inconvenience. That detection is removed now. :)

Regards

#8 jraju

jraju
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:38 AM

Hi, Thank you so much thisusu. I am using your tool for long time since i was infected with babylon search engine and tool bar. I usually download from reputed site, but those cites now turn out to be the injector of browser hijack tool bar and search engine. I regarded cnet as the best once upon a time, and now this cite is spreading PUPs. Manual deletion of this babylon search engine and tool bar in the registry almost took 8 full hours to delete. Finding and editing is also risky in registry. That was the time , i tried your tool and it has finished within minutes.

Duckduckgo as per the post in the thread is said to be legitimate search engine and in the process of iimproving further. I am now having ff browser with this duckduckgo.

Thanks for hearing to the users

#9 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:46 AM

No problem 

#10 jraju

jraju
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:59 AM

Hi,  Thisusu, I checked your program . it stll removes the default page of duckduckgo when the scan completes. And after scanning for shortcuts, findstr or something flashes for a second and then vanish to open the log file.

One more thing, Baidu is shown as successfully deleted , but it is repeated after each scan with jrt. Pl

Moreover, the vanishing tray icons, while scanning is not restored after the scan. Only on reboot that these are available . Pl

Edited by jraju, 02 July 2015 - 01:34 AM.

#11 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:43 AM

Hi,  Thisusu, I checked your program . it stll removes the default page of duckduckgo when the scan completes. And after scanning for shortcuts, findstr or something flashes for a second and then vanish to open the log file.

One more thing, Baidu is shown as successfully deleted , but it is repeated after each scan with jrt. Pl

Moreover, the vanishing tray icons, while scanning is not restored after the scan. Only on reboot that these are available . Pl

Ensure you're using the latest version of the tool. 7.2.6 at the time of this writing as I removed the duckduck go entry from database.

RE: findstr, will look into it

RE: baidu services (if this is what you're referring to) should be fully removed once the computer is restarted.

RE: vanishing tray icons -- this is due to the tool terminating most processes (like the ones you see in your tray) during its scan. You should be able to relaunch said programs once the tool is finished though.

#12 jraju

jraju
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:27 AM

hi,

I ran your old tool which it automatically updated in cmd prompt. Then only it gives your welcome screen of scan. I have done that. When such is the case, the above behaviour occurred.

The tray icons are not refreshed after the scan with the result, that barring sound, and window default icons, all other icons including av, sound drivers icon and gmail notifier pro icons are not refreshed by the program.

baidu services , on each scan is shown as successfully deleted. That means, after your scan is completed and after reboot , it is creeping back to pc somehow, i suppose, . Please verify this.

For eg. I could not relaunch gmail notifier pro.

Thanks for prompt responses from bleeping team and members.

I do not know how to enclose files, there are no options. the log is reproduced by copy and paste

Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Malwarebytes
Version: 7.2.6 (07.02.2015:1)
Ran by on Thu 07/02/2015 at 11:19:58.28
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ Services
~~~ Tasks
~~~ Registry Values
~~~ Registry Keys
~~~ Files
~~~ Folders
Successfully deleted: [Folder] C:\ProgramData\baidu
Successfully deleted: [Folder] C:\users\public\documents\baidu
~~~ Chrome
[C:\Users\--\appdata\local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Preferences] - default search provider reset
[C:\Users\--l\appdata\local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Preferences] - Extensions Deleted:
[C:\Users\--\appdata\local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] - default search provider reset
[C:\Users\--l\appdata\local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] - Extensions Deleted:
[]
Scan was completed on Thu 07/02/2015 at 11:23:38.48
End of JRT log

Edited by jraju, 02 July 2015 - 02:39 AM.

#13 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:01 AM

The tray icons are part of processes that the tool closed. They are not intended to be relaunched once the program is finished. I'm sorry that you don't like that aspect of the tool.
Without seeing the previous logs, I can't really tell if the baidu entries are being readded. They should be gone now though as the tool says 2 folders were successfully deleted. You can try running the tool once more to see if they are detected yet again and let me know.
I can't reproduce the error you are getting with the Gmail notifier pro application. It reopens normally for me. It's not automatic of course, but if I launch click the shortcut to launch the program, it opens without any issue.
Is the duckduckgo issue resolved for you? I don't see it being removed in your log.

#14 jraju

jraju
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:45 AM

I have tried . The duckduckgo resolved. But , when i reopen the firefox, it does show the firefox browser first, and then if you type for searches it goes to search in duckduckgo. I hope you understand this. Also, If i change the option in ff to http of duckduckgo, after running jrt, the default ff home page is there.

regarding baidu, i do not have on reboot. I do not know what this baidu means. the language is different.

Why the chrome log is repeating everytime. I  do not know.

Anyhow, love your free tool to ged rid of nasty bhijacks. I recommend this tool for so many persons in different forums for search engine redirects etc.

#15 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the kind words. I'll try to address the rest of your concerns in a future version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users