Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD, PSU, or Motherboard failure?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mglass2k15

mglass2k15

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:55 AM

Hey guys, used this site before and had some excellent help getting my issues solved, was hoping someone could help me wrap my brain around my current issue. 

So for the past week or so, leaving my computer idle for long periods of time would result in a "no bootable device" error in my BIOS when I'd get home.  Restarting my system seemed to fix the issue the 2 or 3 times it came up.  I figured kitty was being bad and hanging out on top of my tower while I was at work and maybe knocked something loose. 

Well today I had the same error in my BIOS when i came home.  This time, however, I was greeted by a BSOD with a no bootable device message in it after the windows logo loaded.  I decided to power down and clean out all the dust in my system and around some connections. Checked my BIOS again and my CPU was reading out at 90 degrees C but it read my hard drive this time.   I was able to boot up after my system ran a chkdsk which said it found and fixed 4 issues on my drive.  While windows was starting I got host process terminated errors followed by superfetch stopped working.  After a few minutes my screen flashed a few times and then I heard something that sounded like my HDD spinning really fast for a second and then powering down, followed by everything except my mouse cursor on my screen frozen.  I tried blowing out the PSU and switched SATA cables.  My CPU was reading at 36 degrees now.This time I was able to get on with no crashes but still had the superfetch errors.  I was on for 30 or 40 minutes before the same screen issues followed by HDD noises kicked in again.  Every subsequent attempt to reboot gave me the same problems after start up. This time when I went into my BIOS my CPU was at around 60 degrees.  I was able to boot up and stay on for another 1-2 hours before the same crashing issues arose. Again, no BSOD or bootable device errors.  This time around I was able to stay on long enough to run a SMART scan on my HDD and that checked out.  But when everything loaded up my firewall and virus protection was turned off.  I don't have many options for spares since this is a newer build, so before I shop around I was wondering if anyone had any input on what it could be, and I'm hoping I can get this typed up before I crash again. 

My specs are

Corsair 650w

Gigabyte z87x HD3

Hitatchi 500gb

Nvidia 770

I5@3.4ghz(not overclocked)

I'm running Vista though. It's a long story and I plan on updating soon. 

Edited by mglass2k15, 30 June 2015 - 03:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:23 AM

Hi mglass2k15 and welcome,
First of all, I hope you have already backed up all of your important information, since obviously your hard drive (and any data on it) is at risk when such issues occur. Can you, please, post a screenshot of the SMART status of your HDD and preferably test it with a HDD check tool from the manufacturer. There also a couple of very good third party programs that can reveal the status of your HDD accurately. 

Having made my request, from what I read so far I think that you have an HDD controller/ SATA cable issue or too many bad sectors on the drive. The best thing to do is to prepare for a new drive, and check this one on another PC, connecting it as a second drive. Surely, it's worth trying another PSU or at least checking the voltages with a multimeter, if you feel confident enough, but concentrate on the hard drive first. I will be waiting for your answer and we'll discuss options. Best regards, Citizen_WD

#3 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:08 PM

I agree with Citizen_WD, if chkdisk found errors on the disk the HDD is definitely at fault.  Unless you don't mind losing all your data, I'd strongly recommend that you stop trying to boot the computer from that disk, and even remove it.

You can test the rest of your system's functionality by simply setting up a Linux live USB or CD and see if the system will boot that.  If it does, that generally rules out other hardware failure.

The next step I'd recommend is that you use ddrescue (available in most linux live builds) to clone the data onto another hard drive.  If you need help with that let me know and I can post a link to a ddrescue tutorial.  It's about the only software available that can handle bad sector hard drives, which is what I suspect is happening.  You might even get a bootable clone out of it at this point.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:39 PM

IMO, you have a bona fide problem with system overheating...which could be responsible for all sorts of errors.

You say that your CPU temp reaches 90 Celsius, while the max operating for that CPU is 67 Celsius.

I would address that problem before jumping to conclusions about anything else.

Louis.

#5 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:01 PM

Failing hard drives can actually become quite hot when they are struggling.  I'd guess the temp reading was either a glitch, or a result of drive.

#6 mglass2k15

mglass2k15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys. Im at work for a few more hours so ill try getting back with some more info when I get home. Im probably going to pick up a new hdd on my way home so I can back up everything in case it is my drive. The last time it crashed last night I was able to stay on for 3 or 4 hours and could even play some games. It crashed as soon as I closed my game.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:30 PM

Well...since when does a hard drive temperature...make the CPU temp soar 20 degrees above max operating ?

<<Checked my BIOS again and my CPU was reading out at 90 degrees C...>>

A hard drive temperature of 51 Celsius is cause for alarm....but the quote is a CPU temp.

Oh, well...

Louis

#8 mglass2k15

mglass2k15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:07 AM

Hey guys so a quick update. 

I was getting different BSODs today when I got off work.  Forgot I could check event viewer for some more detailed information.  What I'm guessing is that my HDD is failing.  

The errors I've been getting today from my event viewer:

The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

The Diagnostic System Host service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s). (This error occurs multiple times across different programs)

I'm able to type this up just fine from my machine but its running a bit slower than usual.  When I checked my BIOS my CPU temps were all over the place, ranging from 35 to 90 and then staying stable at around 45 degrees. My screen is still tearing on occasion but it doesn't result in a crash.  

Here is a copy of the SMART scan I ran. Z48VU4i.jpg

Tried to run a fitness test from Hitachi but my drive doesnt seem to show up on the scan list

For what it's worth everything seems fine in safe mode.  I let it sit there for a while and I didn't experience any issues. 

I'm not too certain what my options are if my HDD is failing.  I made the mistake of not backing up any of my data for this machine.  I ordered myself an SDD and a brand new HDD today and they should arrive tomorrow. If i clone this data to a new drive will these issues carry over? Would I be better off just starting with a fresh OS install? It's not catastrophic if I lose the data on this machine since it was mainly used for gaming and most of my saves/data are in the cloud. I was going to pick up Windows 8 and just upgrade to 10 whenever its released.  It would be pretty convenient however if I could save this drive or backup whatever I can. 

Edited by mglass2k15, 01 July 2015 - 01:10 AM.

#9 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:08 AM

Hi again, 

Surprisingly, the relocated and pending sector counts of the drive are OK, and should not be the reason for the issues in this case, temperature also seems fine. In this case you should follow the advice @hamluis gave, and more precisely - check the temperatures under load and at idle. If overheating is confirmed - go ahead and check fan and heatsink, replace the thermal paste of the processor and check again. And lastly - try to write down or take a screenshot of the BSOD error code, this may spare you time in finding the culprit of the problem. 

Best regards, Citizen_WD

#10 mglass2k15

mglass2k15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:34 AM

Okay, so a quick update.

I ran chkdsk again and selected the option to locate and fix bad sectors. It appears that it found and relocated files from 2 bad clusters. 

I still had a bsod about 20 minutes after loading. My core temps seem to be staying stable at around 43-46 degrees. 

I was able to get a screen shot of the BSOD however. 

A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. 

STOP: 0x000000F4(0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA8008E17040, OxFFFFFA8008E17278,0xFFFFF800038DD0E0)

w4KDNL2.jpg

Edited by mglass2k15, 01 July 2015 - 05:34 AM.

#11 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:17 AM

Hi again, 
"This issue occurs because of a manifest parser issue. When a manifest contains both Windows line endings and Unix line endings, the manifest parser reads memory at random on the computer. Therefore, when the ClickOnce application triggers a call to the manifest parser, the computer crashes." 

Did you change the battery on the motherboard? If none of this works than we'll have to try more complicated options. Citizen_WD

#12 mglass2k15

mglass2k15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:14 AM

So hopefully this is my last update.

First, I tried to get the hotfix via microsofts website but I put in for it about an hour ago and they still have not e-mailed it to me.  My service pack is up to date.

REgarding the battery/cmos on my motherboard, the board is roughly 2 years old.  I have yet to even remove the battery from the board.

I also remembered that about a week ago, right around the time these issues started, I tried switching browsers from Firefox to Chrome.  I noticed a majority of these crashes occured while I had chrome open or running in the background.  I tried uninstalling chrome, then I moved onto the second fix posted.

I tried the paging fix that was posted and immediatly after restarting I noticed a significant reduction in the time it takes for my machine to boot.  It's actually booting up faster than it was before I encountered these issues.  I figured it wouldn't hurt to run the memory diagnostics as well, which did not come up with any errors.

At the moment everything is running just as well as it did prior to my crashes. But I'm still early into the recovery process and am a little hesitant on calling this resolved since some of my crashes would occur hours after my system was running.  I would appriciate leaving this thread open for at least 24 more hours in case another crash occurs and i greatly appriciate the help presented.

Edited by mglass2k15, 02 July 2015 - 12:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users