Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Screen, Apps, Programs Freezing; Cannot Shut Down System Normally

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mike8387

mike8387

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:18 AM

I started having a number of problems recently on my Asus laptop, running Windows 8.1:

--When navigating to the Start Screen and trying to click on one of the apps (for example, the Maps program), the system immediately freezes and can't be recovered unless I use Ctrl-Alt-Del and sign out, then sign in again

--Unable to shut down the computer as I normally did in the past: sweeping the mouse from the right, clicking Settings-->Power-->Shut Down.  The system again freezes or doesn't open these options when attempted.  

--Certain desktop shortcuts no longer work: I double click on one of them and nothing happens (program won't open).  The same with hyperlinks in word documents; just recently they worked fine, but now when clicked they won't navigate to the webpage.  Recently I had to re-install Adobe Flash Player, but when I click on the .exe file it won't execute.  Opening Windows Media Player or some other programs is the same: they freeze or don't open at all.  

I can still browse the Internet and use other basic functions, but I'm wondering what might be causing all these issues suddenly to occur at once, and how to fix them?  I do not recall installing any new software recently or making any notable changes to the system, so I'm at a loss as to the cause.  The problem probably started within the last 1-2 weeks or so, and may have coincided with the most recent Windows update (KB3074219).  I have also seen some note about "Task Host Window" preventing shutdown or signing out.  Not entirely sure what that means.

I appreciate the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:42 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding,

If you still need help, please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users