Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Sat On My Laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 2pmintheAM

2pmintheAM

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:30 AM

Well, simply, I sat on my laptop. I had placed in on my car seat, and forgotton about it when I went to sit in my car. 

My Laptop works just fine, there is no damage at all, except very minor cosmetic damage to the display, it almost looks like a small smudge on the screen, it's somewhat difficult to notice, but now that I have noticed it, it's all I see.

It's really only visible when dark colors are displayed directly under, which is why I used a black background for the picture to help capture the mark.

I'm new to the forums, so I'm not sure which method is best for sharing the picture I took of the cosmetic damage. I attached the image, I'm attempting to embed it, and here's the link: https://i.imgur.com/9iqY1LP.jpg

9iqY1LP.jpg

So - Anything I can do about this? Will replacing the screen fix this/be worth the price? Can I do it myself? Anything else? Thanks!

My laptop is an Asus Zenbook UX303LA.

Attached Files

Edited by 2pmintheAM, 30 June 2015 - 01:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:28 AM

You damaged the panel either live with it or replace it, there is no fix for that sort of thing.  One of my laptops has one white dot smaller than the head of a pin, but like you it is an eye magnet!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:23 AM

I'll second OldPhil.  The panel has been damaged and you're limited on options.  You can live with it, replace it, or use an external monitor.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:40 PM

Since nobody else has said it - Welcome to BC !

Unhappily, I have to agree with OldPhil and Kilroy - sorry !

Chris Cosgrove

#5 2pmintheAM

2pmintheAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:44 PM

Since nobody else has said it - Welcome to BC !

Unhappily, I have to agree with OldPhil and Kilroy - sorry !

Chris Cosgrove

I'll second OldPhil.  The panel has been damaged and you're limited on options.  You can live with it, replace it, or use an external monitor.

You damaged the panel either live with it or replace it, there is no fix for that sort of thing.  One of my laptops has one white dot smaller than the head of a pin, but like you it is an eye magnet!

Thanks for the reply's and thank's for the welcome! (:

So - If I did want to replace the panel, is there a specific type of screen replacement I would need to look for? Would just replacing the glass screen fix my issue, and would touchscreen still work properly?

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:36 AM

Normally you replace the whole panel and it has to be the same as the one being replaced, partly due to the internal connections.  The bad news is that the panel is one of the more expensive parts to replace in a laptop.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,500 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:49 AM

The pic is such poor quality it just looks like a scuff mark. Is it that or a indentation? I had a scuff mark one time on a screen I buffed it out with a Mr Clean magic eraser pad. Good for taking bad stains out of a kitchen counter top with something like red coolaid spilled on it. If it's a indent maybe you can massage it with your thumb a little bit so it aint so bad.

#8 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:32 PM

If touch works now then it will work after replacing the LCD panel (given there is no damage caused by dissasembling).

A digitizer registers the touch input (which is between the LCD and user).

My advice is to dissasemble the unit so that one can get the actual part # from the sticker on back of damaged LCD panel before ordering replacement. There can be several revisions due to different hardware configurations.

I just abhor doing things more than once if it can be avoiided....

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:47 PM

The pic is such poor quality it just looks like a scuff mark. Is it that or a indentation? I had a scuff mark one time on a screen I buffed it out with a Mr Clean magic eraser pad. Good for taking bad stains out of a kitchen counter top with something like red coolaid spilled on it. If it's a indent maybe you can massage it with your thumb a little bit so it aint so bad.

Well worth trying!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users