Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This is THE WORST forum site to tear myself away from!!!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:03 AM

Lousy grammar I know, but it's how I just screamed this out loud to myself!!!!

I keep going to close the lappy lid and then see a topic that interests me, so read until my eyes feel as if they've melted into one BIG eye in the centre of my head!!

I'm using the newbie 8.1 atm and 'getting used to it'.... as a 2nd lappy it's fine... can keep it here in the lounge to grab if I think of something, rather than having to go to the study...

But 1st thing in the morning, THAT'S where I head! The 'Vista girl' has my windows client, and runs FF without 'upsetting' the AV, and the keyboard is SO much more 'therapeutic'!

Jeepers! what a BORING POST!!! :hysterical:

I'm SOOO happy my Vista lappy gave up the ghost last week.... it brought me HERE, to Bleeping Computer!!!!

John, my first 'saviour', full of patience and commitment...

Brainout, the first FEMALE I've ever known who's interested in IT... and a cracking SOH

Animal, one of the mods, who also doesn't know me from a bar of soap and posted my pic for me!

There are a few others, but have momentarily forgotten the names.... (brain foggy at the best of times!)

Anyway... it's REALLY lovely to 'be a member'.... xox :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:50 AM

Just wait till we get you into the Linux section, You will never sleep again.

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:06 AM

The best thing about IT is its diversity, you can never know everything and you can never know nothing. From networking to Server administration to physical installations, it is all different.

I started off with Linux and XP when I got my first computer. I had no clue what an email address was or even knew anyone that had a computer (Around 2003). I guess I just picked it up naturally as I have a constructive mind and love to see how far I can push things and really never got into gaming until around 2008.

I have never been an educated person as I left school when I was 13, all the teachers thought I would be a dead beat in prison by the time I was 20 but ohhh how they were so wrong LOL. I ended up owning a big house on a large amount of land and own everything I have and im not even 40 yet.

When you start trouble shooting issues, it’s like them old Agatha Christie movies/shows. You have to be a detective and when you really get I to the nuts and bolts of an operating system whether it be Unix/iOS/Windows * then yes it can be fun.

Anyway enjoy!

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:18 AM

I'm using the newbie 8.1 atm and 'getting used to it'.... as a 2nd lappy it's fine... can keep it here in the lounge to grab if I think of something, rather than having to go to the study...

Have you checked out the Tutorial section of Bleeping Computer? There is a section dedicated to Windows 8. Many of your questions will be answered in those tutorials. If not, you can post your questions in Windows 8.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:52 PM

I know what you mean. I come one here way more than I should.

#6 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:04 PM

Thanks, y'all!!!

LOL... SO amazing being 'around' like minds!!!  no one, but NO ONE I interact with in the "tangible world" likes, cares, or is even INTERESTED in IT...

Evie, I've bookmarked that link.. thanks xox

Johnny, GOOD for you!!!!  I've been interested in "programming" since watching "the Net".... even enrolled in a "programming course" (they were free here in Oz then) the kids had all left home, etc.. but my controlling, manipulative (then) husband wouldn't "allow" it!!!!

FAR too long and boringly saga-ish....suffice to say, since being on my own.. (13 years now) I've learned HEAPS from, as you say,

"being a detective"... and analytic!!! I'm hopeless! My friend is always telling me "you ask too many questions"... frankly, I'm sick of hearing that, which is why I prefer the 'company' of forums like this!!!!!

I'm 64, (feel like 30 mentally at times) and wonder, "where did my life go?"....  so rather than waste another SECOND, I'm starting a "course" of my own, right here....

LOL at 'email address'... I was the same.. had an old Windows .. (crikey! can't even remember.. was it 3.1?)

Anyway, that's what I learned on, but "he" was still around so would "take over"... telling me how stupid I was, and not to delve into

what MEN should be doing.... or words to that effect!!

You're in Oz too, I see! lubly to meet you!! xox

NickAu, also in Oz I see!! xox I've had a TINY experience with Linux... Lovely John, introduced me to Puppy!!! that was A M A Z I N G!!!

Got into the hdd of this baby (Vista) and retrieved all my very valuable data.. then with 3 lines of commands, it did a factory reset, and I couldn't be happier!! SUCH an achievement (for an old duck :clapping: )

Will surely look into it further, when I've got 8.1 under a bit more control... doing well thus far! xox

Hollow, I can't help myself!! it's worse than any addiction I've every had!!! lol!! :devil:

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:01 PM

There are a few Aussie members on BC, Did you know Puppy Linux was originally developed by Barry Kauler ( An Australian ) and other members of the community.

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:04 PM

OH NO .. I replied to your post so now your going to have to read it instead of logging OFF ... LOL ....do what I do... simply hit the X in the upper right corner when you know its time to go....LOL

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:25 PM

No, stay here, YeahBleeping!  We who are looking for respite from daily glitch-fixing, need you!

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users