Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Invalid Ip Address

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Marcin_pl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 10:45 AM

i have 2 computers connected to the router trough ethernet and one works and the other one has invalid ip address i tried everything and it still dont work even replaced cards in the computer it also says limited or no connectivity

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 03:25 PM

How have you got them setup exactly?

Are they connected through a hub or a switch then to the router?

Are you using DNS on the router? (Domain Name System)

We need more information so we can help.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:02 AM

Go to Start> Run> cmd> ipconfig. Do this to each computer and list what the results are. BTW do you have them on the same workgroup and each with a unquie computer name?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:41 PM

You are most likely having a DNS / DHCP / or IP problem here.
As posted above you should first check your IP address in Command Prompt (CMD).
If its a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx that means that Windows is assigning you an IP address because it cant get one from your ISP / ROUTER.
If its a 192.xxx.xxx.xxx that means that you are getting a valid IP from your Router / Switch / Hub.
If its anything else you may want to try and renew it by typing: IPCONFIG /RENEW
You may get an error with trying to renew it, but these steps will definatley help you determine if its a communication problem or a blocking issue such as security.

"Could be a whole bunch of other things, but its a good idea to start with some low level testing like this first."

NOTE: If you are getting a valid IP address then you may want to try a PING test to see if communication is working...
Post back for further assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users