Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply Troubleshooting Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dmoses1969

dmoses1969

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:44 PM

My PC will not start up. I powered it off one day and now power button does not light up like it used to. The motherboard led's light up and the fans all come on including the power supply fan but there is never a beep and the display reads no signal.

I did the paper clip test and when the jumper is installed, I have no power on any wires. Also the power supply fan does not come on with the paper clip installed.

When I remove the paper clip and plug the connector back into the motherboard and turn on power it acts as though it is going to boot, led on motherboard comes on, fans all come on including the power supply fan. Then a few seconds later all fans stop momentarily and then come back on like its stuck in reset. 

Is it my power supply that is bad?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:50 AM

Could be a bad or stuck reset button on the case, or a bad power button.  Also be sure to check the 4 pin power connector going to the motherboard, if it's not making contact it'll start to power on but nothing will happen.

Edited by DataMedic, 30 June 2015 - 09:51 AM.

#3 dmoses1969

dmoses1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:09 PM

Could be a bad or stuck reset button on the case, or a bad power button.  Also be sure to check the 4 pin power connector going to the motherboard, if it's not making contact it'll start to power on but nothing will happen.

Thanks for the reply, 

I just checked all connectors and their all seated good. Installed my old graphics card just to see if that was an issue and still the same thing. No display. Swapped monitors w/cable and still no display. Pretty much unplugged everything and reseated the connectors to make sure there was a good connection. I think I will order a power supply and go from there. It appears to be running but the display isnt getting a signal. All fans are running and motherboard led is on. 

I just find it odd that the power supply will not coming with the jumper test but it will come on when plugged into the motherboard. 

Edited by dmoses1969, 30 June 2015 - 01:10 PM.

#4 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:23 AM

I just find it odd that the power supply will not coming with the jumper test but it will come on when plugged into the motherboard. 

Many ATX Power Supplies require a minimum load attached to the +5V line in order to remain in an 'on' state and to output rated voltages.

To keep the P.S. on and outputting the voltages, you'd need to connect a load to the +5V line.  That's the reason the P.S. remained on when connected to your Mother Board as the P.S. sensed a load connected to that line.

For example, here's a pic of a 20-pin ATX Power Connector illustrating how you can convert an ATX P.S. into a bench power supply.  Note the power resistor connected to pins 3 & 4 to simulate a Mother Board load on the +5V line.

16lwack.jpg

I converted a spare ATX P.S. to run a 2nd CD/DVD Drive outside of my Desktop PC Tower.  I didn't need to connect a power resistor since the DVD Drive draws enough current to keep the ATX P.S. turned on and outputting the rated voltages.

#5 dmoses1969

dmoses1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:55 PM

Well, I repaced the power supply and still does the same thing. I guess im on to Processor or Motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users