Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop: Horizontal bar appearing at the bottom of screen (showing the top part)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Red9

Red9

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:56 PM

Every few seconds, a horizontal bar pops up on the bottom of my screen (about half the size of the Start bar). This bar that shows up displays whatever I have on the top part of my screen.

I hooked up the laptop to my desktop screen and the bar does not show up on the desktop screen. I assume this eliminates some possibilities (like video card?).

I also bought a LCD inverter board (or display inverter, not sure what it's exactly called) and replaced it. But that did nothing. It was worth a shot because it was cheap at only $4 on ebay.

Any ideas what it could be? Would replacing the LCD Screen (the entire thing) definitely fix it?

One weird thing about this problem is that I tried using "print sc" so I can post an image of the problem, but the bar would not show up when I pasted it into Paint. I tried a bunch of times, but it defintely would not show up.

My laptop is HP Elitebook 6930p.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:25 AM

Without trying to replace the screen itself first, have your tried safe mode if the problem persist? I would go to reinstalling the video driver by a manufacturing or having to use a clean install of the operating system provided, you have made a backup of all your important files. Use the software path method before proceeding with the LCD replacement. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#3 Red9

Red9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:01 AM

What do you mean with software path method for replacing the LCD screen?

The problem persists in safe mode.

I guess switching to 1280 x 720 resolution (from 1280 x 800), makes the problem slightly less annoying. The screen picture is moved up slightly, so a black bar appears at the bottom. On that black bar, a thin white horizontal line keeps appearing, but at least it's not showing what's on the top.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:11 PM

The LCD back light could be dying its hard to replace a LCD back light but not impossible.

Posted Image

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:52 AM

The problem persists in safe mode.

Well, this just confirmed that it's already a problem with the LCD screen as in a pixel is stuck or dead.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users