Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia 6gb or 3gb?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SoapTurtle

SoapTurtle

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:24 PM

Hi im trying to chose between 2 laptops that are the same price. The one of them has the gtx 970m with 3gb and the other with 6gb. Is it better to have 6gb? Can someone explain the difference to me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:34 PM

Hi im trying to chose between 2 laptops that are the same price. The one of them has the gtx 970m with 3gb and the other with 6gb. Is it better to have 6gb? Can someone explain the difference to me?

Unless you are playing super-hardcore games, 3gb would be fine. GPU memory isn't everything, it's what type of memory that counts. For example, I would rather have 1 GB of GDDR5 than 3 GB of GDDR3. And the GTX 900 series is the top of the line as far as gaming cards go.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 SoapTurtle

SoapTurtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:04 PM

Unless you are playing super-hardcore games, 3gb would be fine. GPU memory isn't everything, it's what type of memory that counts. For example, I would rather have 1 GB of GDDR5 than 3 GB of GDDR3. And the GTX 900 series is the top of the line as far as gaming cards go.

Ah i see. You mentioned that the 900 series isn't great. Why so?

#4 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:12 AM

Ah i see. You mentioned that the 900 series isn't great. Why so?

That's not exactly what I meant. Like I said, the 900 series is top-of-the-line for gaming cards. But I was just saying that more memory doesn't always mean more performance. Desktop computers, though, last longer and the graphics cards in them perform better. But if you can only have a laptop and you want to do some gaming, this would be OK.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users