Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD Drive Disappears?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AndyJay

AndyJay

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:48 PM

I have my SSD connected to Sata 1, HDD to Sata 2, and my CD Drive to Sata 3.

Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 Intel LGA1150 Z97 ATX 

CD Drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS90

Basically it works when it wants to. It'll read a cd fine, then it wont.

It disappears from the My Computer where you can see all your drives. It also likes to remove itself from the Device Manager, but when I click on Scan for Hardware changes it reappears.

When it's on the My Computer area, it appears under Devices with Removable Storage. It's almost as if it's going to sleep or something? I've tried updating the driver and it says it's up to date.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AndyJay

AndyJay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:56 PM

Oh I should also add that this is a new mobo and a fresh installation of windows.

#3 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:17 PM

Hello AndyJay;

Take it this an older DVD player? Have you disconnected and reconnected all the cables to make sure they are seated correctly? Unistalled and reinstalled drivers? Updated firmware?

Jelerak

#4 AndyJay

AndyJay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:01 PM

Yep it was an old and cheap one from when I first built the pc. And nope but I'll be doing it straight after work today. Would it make a difference which sata slot I plug it into?

Also what would be the best way for me to uninstall the driver, do it on the device manager?

#5 AndyJay

AndyJay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:50 AM

Right I've tried swapping Sata cables, switching it from my HDD to my Drive, reinstalled the drivers and it's still doing it. Bios is recognising it too.

When I run my pc and have a disc in it works fine and I can browse the disc. When I open the drive then close it it looks like it stops. The light flashes for a few seconds then it goes off and removes itself from the My Computer area. I then have to refresh the hardware on device manager for it to reappear - where it will then show the contents of the dvd?

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:10 AM

It sounds to me like the dvd drive may just be going bad.

#7 AndyJay

AndyJay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:18 AM

Hmm it did use to work perfectly fine. Then I changed my cpu, mobo and reinstalled windows, now it's doing this :(

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:48 AM

It's not a break-the-bank expenditure...optical drives aren't built to last forever and I feel lucky if I can get 3 years out of one.  1-year warranty and continuous "upgrades or replacements" indicate (IMO) that they are not expected to be operational more than a year or two.

If your cables are old, I would also replace them, another inexpensive replacement.

Louis

#9 AndyJay

AndyJay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:54 PM

Fair play, we'll I've got a new one coming. My sata cables are around 2 years old will they be okay?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:32 PM

I cannot say...I keep spare cables around because I'm unable to see any breaks that might occur...and the connectors may loosen.  A bad cable will often make users think that a given device is bad.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users