Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lag on every server on every game

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:16 PM

I have done everything I can do increase my Internet speed yet I am still experiencing lag on every server on any game. What is going on?

4468856872.png

There are no other network intensive processes on the network, as usual.

Edited by gigapouch, 29 June 2015 - 05:16 PM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:43 PM

Hello again gigapouch;

What games are you trying to play? The lower your internet speed, which yours is the bottom of the barrel, the worse a lot of online games will play.

Jelerak

#3 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:53 PM

Hello again gigapouch;

What games are you trying to play? The lower your internet speed, which yours is the bottom of the barrel, the worse a lot of online games will play.

Jelerak

Mainly Minecraft and Rigs of Rods. But the funny part of it all is that I never had this issue before.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:14 PM

What down/up are you paying for?

What exactly did you do to try to increase your internet speed?  Sometimes these tweeks have the opposite affect.

#5 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:19 PM

What down/up are you paying for?

What exactly did you do to try to increase your internet speed?  Sometimes these tweeks have the opposite affect.

We're paying for 6016kb/768, which translates to about 6mb/0.75. 

I'm getting 5/0.65 which is not bad, considering I had 0.5/0.5 before I did the optimizations.

This is what I did to increase my speed:

1. Reset router

2. Change the Wi-fi channel to the one I tested as being the "fastest"

3. Reinstall driver for wifi dongle

And that's about it.

#6 EricHNC

EricHNC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:58 PM

Have you tried adding port forward settings for your specific games? I used to play NHL 14 online and it was very laggy until I entered the proper settings into my router. You'd think the game would work fine without these settings, but it did help me a lot. The Port Forward site has the settings you need for a TON of games.

http://portforward.com/

#7 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:14 AM

Have you tried adding port forward settings for your specific games? I used to play NHL 14 online and it was very laggy until I entered the proper settings into my router. You'd think the game would work fine without these settings, but it did help me a lot. The Port Forward site has the settings you need for a TON of games.

http://portforward.com/

Weird.... Well, I already have port 25565 forwarded for my MC server (but I still experience chat lag and "block breaking lag"), but I think I'll port forward the ports between 12000 and 14000 for Rigs of Rods. Thx for the tip! I guess port forwarding gives the game server a direct route to your PC  instead of something else.

Edited by gigapouch, 30 June 2015 - 11:18 AM.

#8 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:19 PM

OK. Port forwarding does absolutely nothing. We're talking 4fps lag here (in Rigs of Rods), when I normally get 75fps in singleplayer.

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:07 PM

do a tracert yahoo.com and post the results for review.

#10 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:30 PM

Here's what comes out from tracert yahoo.com:

spxij9.png

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:08 PM

I would be worried about the second hop IPV6 1602:300:c533:1510::26 since it responded to a 16ms then * * means there is something going on there & possibly packet loss. I ran a ping -6 and a traceroute and it doesn't resolve to anything anymore. Maybe AT&T is doing temporary maintenance. Can you try another traceroute? Need to do a whois on that ipv6 address to determine if its on AT&T. You're not daisy chaining routers or anything right?

#12 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:01 PM

Daisy chaining? Never heard of it, so no. Here's a tracert to google.com:

8X9Pkd.png

Edited by gigapouch, 02 July 2015 - 08:35 PM.

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:30 PM

Your traceroute looks a lot better than the last. It seems AT&T has resolved the problem. Are you still having issues? I read there was vandalism done in Scaremento California where someone had cut a main fiber optic line. As far as lag to a video game server there really isn't much you can do other than find a server closer to westcoast or mid. Do you know the IP of the game server? If not you can connect to the game for a while (be sure to close any browsers open) and drop the game down to desktop and run cmd in administrator mode and type netstat -bno to determine the established connection, tcp port, as well as exe file that is running.

#14 axiomteck

axiomteck

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:31 PM

You should check with you internet provider. And find out whats the speed you suppose to be getting. Afer they tell you
compare by doing a spead test at speakeasy
and if is lower then what you paying for tell them to resend signal or to fix it.if they dont fix it ask for credit.

#15 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:48 AM

Your traceroute looks a lot better than the last. It seems AT&T has resolved the problem. Are you still having issues? I read there was vandalism done in Scaremento California where someone had cut a main fiber optic line. As far as lag to a video game server there really isn't much you can do other than find a server closer to westcoast or mid. Do you know the IP of the game server? If not you can connect to the game for a while (be sure to close any browsers open) and drop the game down to desktop and run cmd in administrator mode and type netstat -bno to determine the established connection, tcp port, as well as exe file that is running.

Wow, I didn't know about that... Sacramento is a 2 hour drive from my house. No, but there are a list of Rigs of Rods servers: http://www.rigsofrods.com/servers/index

EDIT: Apparently I am still experiencing some packet loss on some servers, though.

Edited by gigapouch, 04 July 2015 - 12:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users