Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden problems with connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HelenWinkle

HelenWinkle

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:47 PM

I have recently started having frequent yet intermittent loss of DSL connection--can go days with no problem and then have several disconnects within the same day.  I can always get the connection back via power cycling my modem and router, but I wonder if this is a sign of the hardware getting old, or if there is a problem with the phone  line itself via my ISP.

I have a Thomson ST516 modem and a D-Link  DIR-615 router that has Firmware version 3.13NA  They are between 3-4 years old.

TWice, while the connection was down, I was able to access the modem's interface and ran a connectivity test.

The error message was "ppp Disconnected because idle timeout reached"

I checked the Thomson user manual and it indicates that the failing of the PPP test can be due to the following reasons:
1)Authentication failed: check your user name and password.

2) Your connection is disconnected.
3) Could not bring up link.

My username and password have not changed, so this suggests to me that one of the other two issues could be the problem.  However, I do not understand the significance/meaning of these things.  If the connection is disconnected, does this mean there is a problem with the line itself?

I did try talking to my ISP tech support, but they really could not tell me what "ppp Disconnected because idle timeout reached" signifies and I don't want to invest in new equipment if it turns out that the DSL line is the problem.

Thank you for any assistance.

Helen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HelenWinkle

HelenWinkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:19 PM

In case it is of use, this is the event log generated by the modem.

Attached Files

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:48 PM

Did you explain what was going on? or did you just ask what the "ppp Disconnected because idle timeout reached" means?

What they should do run a test to the node and then the node to your modem. Node = the "card" your modem connects to on their network to give you internet. Also I assume when its down the modem has lost connection and it's not just your router. If it is up and working look at the lights on your modem, which are blinking, which are solid. Then when you can't connect, are the lights doing something different? If they are different, that is when I would call and do not do anything to fix it. Explain to them that yes you know that unplugging and plugging it back in will fix it but you want to know if it is the modem OR if it is outside. You want them to run a test on it. Be nice but firm with the person. Normally this will take a few minutes because they have to either call someone to run the test or they can run the test on their own, either way it takes a few to run the test. If it is outside they will get someone out to fix it without you having to do anything else. If they say everything was fine on their side, then it's time to see about a new modem. You can ask if they have a list of modems you can buy OR do a little research to find what modem will work for that ISP.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 HelenWinkle

HelenWinkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:18 PM

I did explain what was going on but they did not offer to test the line.  They wanted me to directly connect the modem without using the router--I haven't done this yet but will  do it in the future--my computer is elsewhere in the house.  I just wondered though if this  "ppp timeout" message means that the router is not involved in the problem--whether this error message since it presented in the modem interface, is basically a modem/connection problem rather than a network problem.  I was able to wirelessly connect to the modem interface which suggests that the router was working.

We use the same ISP at work and went through a similar problem, where the modem interface indicated a problem; They told my boss bought  to buy a new modem.  The problem continued and in the end it was a physical problem with the line and not the modem.   Expensive way to find out as well as very time consuming with multiple calls to tech support, unplugging and plugging.

Thanks for your advice.

Helen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users