Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Power Supplies ???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:13 PM

ATT told me that my router (An ATT 2Wire 2701HG- B) had went bad.So,I purchased a new one (An ATT 2Wire i38HG) from ebay.This router would not work either for some reason.An ATT service tech came to the house to test the outside lines.All seemed fine.He came into the house and we tried the old router with the new routers power supply.THIS worked !

So,the tech told me that the old routers power supply had gone bad.That still does not explain why the new router would not work though.Nor,does it explain to me why the old router would not work with the old power supply when the power supply seemed fine.All the lights seemed to work.But,after it seemed to power up and the DSL and the Internet lights began to be lit a solid (as opposed to flashing) green,the router would then begin the whole process of trying boot itself back up all over again.Thus,never allowing an internet connection.

I have looked at the new routers user guide online and it says "The HomePortal®iNID (intelligent Network Interface
Device) system comprises three components: i38HG
(inside unit), iPSU (power supply unit), and i3
812V (outside unit). These components are dependent on
each other and do not have standalone
functions. Using these components
together provide triple-play
service (voice, data, and video) to your home".

So,is this telling me that without all 3 of these components that this router will not work to simply connect me to the internet ? I've never heard of a router like that.And,in fact,the tech had never seen this router either.

PLEASE,everybody.....any input would be greatly appreciated.It certainly seems ridiculous to me to pay $27 (total) for this new router when (it seems) that nothing more than a simple power supply was needed.

Edited by hamluis, 29 June 2015 - 02:49 PM.
Moved from Networking to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:30 PM

That is because DSL modem/routers are not just routers. It does a bit more than that. Everything comes in on the telephone lines: voice( DUH lol ), TV, and internet signal. It all has to be processed by that one unit. So yeah, it could be an all or nothing deal.

Was the new modem/router provisioned for your service? They are not normally plug and play. You need to call in to have them provisioned.

PSUs in most of home routers are not serviceable at least not by most customers or techs. You just replace it and have a nice day.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:46 PM

That is because DSL modem/routers are not just routers. It does a bit more than that. Everything comes in on the telephone lines: voice( DUH lol ), TV, and internet signal. It all has to be processed by that one unit. So yeah, it could be an all or nothing deal.

Was the new modem/router provisioned for your service? They are not normally plug and play. You need to call in to have them provisioned.

PSUs in most of home routers are not serviceable at least not by most customers or techs. You just replace it and have a nice day.

Hmmmmm.WoW.I'm not sure how to respond to that.Well,I cannot say that the new router was "provisioned" for my service.I'm not exactly certain what you mean by that.But,the tech that was out here said he had never seen this model.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:06 PM

Provisioned means the Internet Service Provider (ISP) updating their system with your router information to allow it to connect.  Normally they just enter the information in their system and then you can use it.  As to the tech not seeing the model that may also mean that it may not be compatible with your ISP's network.

#5 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:13 PM

Provisioned means the Internet Service Provider (ISP) updating their system with your router information to allow it to connect.  Normally they just enter the information in their system and then you can use it.  As to the tech not seeing the model that may also mean that it may not be compatible with your ISP's network.

Thanks,Kilroy for explaining that.As to the routers not being "plug and play"...THAT,I can understand.But,wouldn't the routers "dsl" "broadband" internet" lights at least tell me that I have a signal ?  Or,once someone receives a new router,would they have to immediately call the provider & have them "configure" things ? Again...thanks EVERYONE for all of your help !

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:31 PM

Not all DSL modems are compatible with all ISPs. You need to do a little research into what devices will work with your ISP. I'd say a good indication that yours won't is that the tech had never seen it. He could be new and not seen that much so.....

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:32 PM

Not all DSL modems are compatible with all ISPs. You need to do a little research into what devices will work with your ISP. I'd say a good indication that yours won't is that the tech had never seen it. He could be new and not seen that much so.....

I kind of figured that,CD.I just figured that since it was an ATT router that it should have worked.Thanks for your input my friend !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users