Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

backgroundTaskHost and high CPU usage

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MisterWeather

MisterWeather

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:30 AM

Greetings

I've searched the forums for this topic, but have not found it. So if this has been already coverd and I missed it, my apologies. It surrounds the application backgroundTaskHost.exe, frequent launches and high CPU usage. This topic is also currently being discussed on the MS Social TechNet forum.

Brief history: I upgraded my Windows 7 x64 Home Premium box to Win 10 build 10013 using the ISO; I chose the keep setting and programs option. All went well, it was a smooth upgrade. I left the system run for a couple of days to ensure stability, then decided to perform a few tweaks; native options only (choosing a screen saver, theme etc.) After making those tweaks the backgroundTaskHost.exe issue started. It seems to have begun shortly after I enabled the screen saver (upgrade default was OFF) Now I see 60% to 90% CPU usage and +10C rise in systems temperature which occurs at very regular intervals. If I leave my PC alone, the service starts after about 20 minutes, runs for 20 minutes, is idle for 10, runs for 20, idle for 10 ... until I move the mouse.

I am using Process Explorer and have left the window up, so I see backgroundTaskHost.exe as the culprit; yet as indicated as soon as I move the mouse to view the details it terminates. Then I downloaded Process Monitor to see which files, apps and locations were accessed during the 20 minutes this resource is running. It would appear, as with many Windows apps, to be related to a wide variety of processes. The recurring theme is opening, reading then closing files in the \AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_15.519.16490.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe folder of the active user ... over and over and over. It is also to be looking at other media locations & files. (The output file from Process Monitor is 2GB!)

I performed a sfc /scannow with no integrity violations, and plan to run a chkdsk /f /r /x to verify the disk. I suspect that the chkdsk will come back clean. I assume the issue has something to do with the screen saver - my issue started when I enabled it. However, the issue persists even after going back to the base install state (turning off the screen saver, themes etc.)

Has anyone else seen this issue? Any other ideas or resolutions? Thank You for your input.

MisterWeather

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users