Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ok what happens if !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:31 AM

Come July I will pull the trigger on three machines.

Ok now what happens if there is an issue of some sort.  Like component failure, virus requiring a full scrub or what ever.  How will I get back on the 10 band wagon, will I be facing a song and dance from MS or will there be an easy solution?

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:34 AM

Download the Windows 10 .iso that Microsoft will put on their website, and perform a clean installation of it using the product key you used to upgrade that computer to Windows 10. Hence why you should back it up first just in case.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,754 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:20 AM

Thanks I will re-read 10 when it gets closer, I may wait a bit to load it to see if any issues pop up in 10.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:22 AM

No problem Phil, good decision :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 annetteriley

annetteriley

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:05 PM

It's so close to the day that Microsoft officially released the Windows 10 RTM. Just take the update and backup more frequently.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,754 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:11 PM

I will still take Auras advice and get an ISO, theory if one crashes bad I don't want to go through a son and dance getting it back up.  As it is I will have three product keys to worry about which goes where LOL !

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:11 PM

This isn't the point here annetteriley. Also, there's still a month before the release.

unite_blue.png

#8 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:54 PM

You know it's all very interesting reading all this stuff in these IT Forums However, there is a fundamental point @ the heart of the matter that may possibly be getting missed.  I have said & tried to explain before there is a real distinction between Windows 10 & computing future under the Windows 10 Platform & Windows Operating Systems as we knew them in the past.  That said, it comes down to 2 basic things.

1.  There are not going to be a continuing series of new Windows OSs.
2.  It is not a box of chocolates, pick the centre you like best & eat only that forever.

Ergo, it is not a matter of skipping 10 like many did w/ 8.1.  Nor is a matter of staying w/ some past OS forever.  Past OSs are not going to endure the way 10 is, by design & intent.  It is not a matter of IF but, WHEN.  Eventually, prior OSs will fade away, be unsupported, and like XP hardware & software not made for or work w/ them, in time they will become passé & obsolete.  And just a vulnerable ONTHE NET as XP is now. This is the biggest reason why it makes good sense to save money if one, already, has an OS that entitles them to the free Upgrade.

As for anticipating problems... That is major part of why countless Users have been Beta Testing Win10 & sending Feedback to the Build Team for the last 9 months.  A massive research & development lab.  And besides, (& there will always be) people bent of negativity & arbitrarily bashing everything Microsoft does, the response to Windows is as favorable as it should be.  We don't have to be caught up in all this New OS ritual & rhetoric every 3 yrs (that's what the life-cycle was supposed to be), don't have be concerned over Updates if Home version Users.  And heaps of other positives & bonuses thanks to the advancements & changes associated w/ the W10 Platform.  Plus, frankly, the damn thing works really well.

Personally, like so many, I am anxiously looking forward to having the GA of Win10 instead of Betas.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:56 AM

It's so close to the day that Microsoft officially released the Windows 10 RTM. Just take the update and backup more frequently.

Windows 10 has not been released yet.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:48 AM

This, I'm sure, is supposed to say,

It's so close to the day that Microsoft officially releases the Windows 10 GA. Just take the update on the 29th and backup more frequently.

Changed the verb tense since the 29th is yet to arrive.  Changed RTM (Release to Manufacturing) to GA (General Availability).  What is offered starting the 29th is the GA not, RTM.  RTM is given to OEMs & MSDN Subscribers & such sometime prior to the 29th.  Everyone else gets the GA starting 29/7

Cheers,​

Edited by Drew1903, 01 July 2015 - 09:49 AM.

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:21 AM

Old Phil post #1:

From what I hear windows 10 can still make system images just like windows 7, 8 and 8.1 can. It should be possible to use a system image on external media to recover from the failure of a hard-drive, or certain other hardware components, it should almost certainly be possible to use an image to take the system back to a clean state and wipe out a virus or correct a software related problem.

Edited by rp88, 01 July 2015 - 11:22 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:01 PM

Yes, you can still create system images under Windows 10.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-10/

unite_blue.png

#13 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:00 PM

Still is right... same thing, same, same way

> File History, it's @ the bottom left corner of the FH window, System Image Backup :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users