Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IS there a way to "downgrade" to Windows 7 from 8.1???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:36 AM

If so, HOW????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:53 AM

Yes there is. Depending upon the hardware, devices, etc. of your desktop or laptop. If the computer was designed for Windows 8, rolling back will very likely require a hunt for the chipsets and devices involved, a hunt for Windows 7 drivers to match said chipsets and devices. I had my local business-oriented computer store roll my newest laptop from W8 to W7Pro, it costs because I am not savvy enough to pull heatsinks off of numerous chipsets, find the correct drivers, install said drivers properly. I hope you have an easier time for your rollback. :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:05 AM

If you have Windows 8.1 Pro, it has downgrade license rights for you to be able to use Windows 7 Professional in its place. You would need to be able to use the appropriate genuine installation media (your own or borrowed) with its own genuine Product Key, but the installation could not be activated in this condition. You would need to contact Microsoft for a one time activation code quoting the downgrade license right.

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=-XSg9LoYa42

If the Windows 8.1 is not Pro, it has no downgrade license applicable, and you'd need to find a way to buy a genuine copy of Windows 7.

In either case, as RolandJS has already mentioned, you'd need to be sure you can source Windows 7 drivers for all your system hardware devices, or have it all done professionally.

Edited by Platypus, 29 June 2015 - 04:06 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:58 AM

From previous threads I believe the OP has a OEM Windows 8.1 Toshiba computer.

@OliviaITlover, I would recommend you upgrade to Windows 10 instead of downgrading to 7. Windows 10 will be more like 7. There is no switching between the Tile UI and the desktop.  There will be no more charms bar either. You can delete any tiles from the desktop Start Menu.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/no-more-charms-bar-on-the-windows-10-desktop/

This video should give you an idea on Windows 10 even though it is not the final build.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 June 2015 - 08:02 AM.

#5 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:56 PM

Yes there is. Depending upon the hardware, devices, etc. of your desktop or laptop. If the computer was designed for Windows 8, rolling back will very likely require a hunt for the chipsets and devices involved, a hunt for Windows 7 drivers to match said chipsets and devices. I had my local business-oriented computer store roll my newest laptop from W8 to W7Pro, it costs because I am not savvy enough to pull heatsinks off of numerous chipsets, find the correct drivers, install said drivers properly. I hope you have an easier time for your rollback. :)

YIKES!!!  wow Roland!

Think I'll take your advice John! My brain couldn't cope with such a HUGE IT project so soon lol! have the link and video on a tab

to view soon (HUGE benefit of FF on Vista)! I SO love this machine!

#6 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:13 PM

From previous threads I believe the OP has a OEM Windows 8.1 Toshiba computer.

@OliviaITlover, I would recommend you upgrade to Windows 10 instead of downgrading to 7. Windows 10 will be more like 7. There is no switching between the Tile UI and the desktop.  There will be no more charms bar either. You can delete any tiles from the desktop Start Menu.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/no-more-charms-bar-on-the-windows-10-desktop/

This video should give you an idea on Windows 10 even though it is not the final build.

Once again, John, I'm in your debt!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH for that link that works BRILLIANTLY!!!!!

Have just 'surfed' a bit to ensure it was, and WHAT a relief!!!!  :clapping:

Perhaps I may be able to 'get used to it' after all!!!k

Going to look at that video now...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users