Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New SSD causing problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HumanMincer

HumanMincer

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:28 AM

hey guys first time posting.

im not sure if this is the right thread for this?

but anyway, this is my system..

Intel i7 2600k @4.4 (55°c when gaming)
Corsair vengeance 1600 16gb
Amd sapphire hd7870
Asus p8z68-v gen3
Corsair force series 3 GT 120 ssd
Wd caviar black 2tb
Corsair hx750

i recently purchased a Samsung 850 evo 256 ssd as a game drive, but since i first installed it, there have been issues

1st game i moved onto the SSD was GTAV.. instead of a 40secondish load time, it was about 10 minutes.. during the load screen i noticed the background images wernt loading.. the screen was just black with their info tips. and when i was finally ingame i noticed there was an animation delay of me getting into a vehicle.. then a delay in firing my gun.. and by delay i mean i would left click....over....and over.. and my character would not shoot.. i could walk about just fine.. once i was in a car and driving at full speed, the game would crash. i have been testing this heaps and its froze, many times. sometimes when driving id change radio stations and it would make a clicking sound, like im changing the station, but it wouldnt actually load the new stations music.

i thought this could have just been steam or a bad restore of gta.. i then put arma 3 on my ssd and it ran fine.. i then put bf3 on and i thought it ran fine.. but later on i played more and i noticed the icon for caputuring the flag was freezing heaps... so that rules out gta and steam as being a cause.

i copied gtav back to my data drive and tested it, and the game ran, didnt crash, but the game menu was slow, laggy.. which it never use to do..

i have installed samsung magican, states i have the latest firmware. their benchmark software shows my read/write are up at 500mb.. i have tested with atto, giving same results.

the ssd is deffinately in ahci mode, because my OS drive is fine. but for a test i swapped them to IDE..didnt fix a thing. i have changed cables, changed ports. i am using the intel 6gbs port, NOT the marvel ports.

i am pretty much out of ideas.. the only other thing i can think of that i havnt done is formatting..and thats more of a last resort.. if anyone has any ideas its greatly appreciated

i have googled quite a bit and have found no solution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Other Foot

Other Foot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:22 AM

I'm sorry to see you haven't received an answer to your problem yet, especially since I just joined to ask another SSD question.

Have you tested the drive on another machine? I'd try that to see if it displays the same issues. I have 2 Samsung 850 Pro 256s and a 512 and haven't had a single problem. I love teh speed. :)

Hope someone smarter than me answers you.

Jim

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:10 PM

I too wish I has some thoughts, I have four SSD's all very quick, maybe some stuff in this link will help you out.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2560696/850-evo-slow-ssd-speeds.html

More to look at:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

Edited by OldPhil, 01 July 2015 - 01:15 PM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#4 HumanMincer

HumanMincer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I am running the latest firmware on the drive, using the intel 6gb ports, but i have tried other ports / cables.

I dont really have access to another computer, atleast not til the weekend

I installed windows on it, basic drivers and tried gtav, same problem, nit as bad but deffinately there.

I got a replacement yesterday, exact same problem.. but i *may* have fixed it..i dont think its conpletely fixed but its atleast alot better. I went to my mobo driver website and installed the intel rapid storage technology software(which i previously didnt have) and that has helped ALOT.. tonight ill test more to confirm this

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:03 PM

I am sure you have gone over all the setup info plus one runs fine maybe some else will have input.

Phil

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#6 HumanMincer

HumanMincer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:49 AM

okay i have played RO2, BF3 and GTAV off the SSD for  about 30 or so hours and the games have not froze/crashed. i sometimes get a slow down in gtav menu but then it fixes itself. so ill write this as fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users