Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New SSD causing problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HumanMincer

HumanMincer

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:28 AM

hey guys first time posting.

im not sure if this is the right thread for this?

but anyway, this is my system..

Intel i7 2600k @4.4 (55°c when gaming)
Corsair vengeance 1600 16gb
Amd sapphire hd7870
Asus p8z68-v gen3
Corsair force series 3 GT 120 ssd
Wd caviar black 2tb
Corsair hx750

i recently purchased a Samsung 850 evo 256 ssd as a game drive, but since i first installed it, there have been issues

1st game i moved onto the SSD was GTAV.. instead of a 40secondish load time, it was about 10 minutes.. during the load screen i noticed the background images wernt loading.. the screen was just black with their info tips. and when i was finally ingame i noticed there was an animation delay of me getting into a vehicle.. then a delay in firing my gun.. and by delay i mean i would left click....over....and over.. and my character would not shoot.. i could walk about just fine.. once i was in a car and driving at full speed, the game would crash. i have been testing this heaps and its froze, many times. sometimes when driving id change radio stations and it would make a clicking sound, like im changing the station, but it wouldnt actually load the new stations music.

i thought this could have just been steam or a bad restore of gta.. i then put arma 3 on my ssd and it ran fine.. i then put bf3 on and i thought it ran fine.. but later on i played more and i noticed the icon for caputuring the flag was freezing heaps... so that rules out gta and steam as being a cause.

i copied gtav back to my data drive and tested it, and the game ran, didnt crash, but the game menu was slow, laggy.. which it never use to do..

i have installed samsung magican, states i have the latest firmware. their benchmark software shows my read/write are up at 500mb.. i have tested with atto, giving same results.

the ssd is deffinately in ahci mode, because my OS drive is fine. but for a test i swapped them to IDE..didnt fix a thing. i have changed cables, changed ports. i am using the intel 6gbs port, NOT the marvel ports.

i am pretty much out of ideas.. the only other thing i can think of that i havnt done is formatting..and thats more of a last resort.. if anyone has any ideas its greatly appreciated

i have googled quite a bit and have found no solution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Other Foot

Other Foot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:22 AM

I'm sorry to see you haven't received an answer to your problem yet, especially since I just joined to ask another SSD question.

Have you tested the drive on another machine? I'd try that to see if it displays the same issues. I have 2 Samsung 850 Pro 256s and a 512 and haven't had a single problem. I love teh speed. :)

Hope someone smarter than me answers you.

Jim

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:10 PM

I too wish I has some thoughts, I have four SSD's all very quick, maybe some stuff in this link will help you out.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2560696/850-evo-slow-ssd-speeds.html

More to look at:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

Edited by OldPhil, 01 July 2015 - 01:15 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 HumanMincer

HumanMincer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I am running the latest firmware on the drive, using the intel 6gb ports, but i have tried other ports / cables.

I dont really have access to another computer, atleast not til the weekend

I installed windows on it, basic drivers and tried gtav, same problem, nit as bad but deffinately there.

I got a replacement yesterday, exact same problem.. but i *may* have fixed it..i dont think its conpletely fixed but its atleast alot better. I went to my mobo driver website and installed the intel rapid storage technology software(which i previously didnt have) and that has helped ALOT.. tonight ill test more to confirm this

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:03 PM

I am sure you have gone over all the setup info plus one runs fine maybe some else will have input.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 HumanMincer

HumanMincer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:49 AM

okay i have played RO2, BF3 and GTAV off the SSD for  about 30 or so hours and the games have not froze/crashed. i sometimes get a slow down in gtav menu but then it fixes itself. so ill write this as fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users