Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loopy Windows 10 Preview installation (bare metal)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:27 PM

In another thread about why Windows 10 is free, I started journalling my installation, largely to answer Drew's claim that Win10 installation was easy.  It is not, and it is not even done yet.  But to say more than I did there, would hijack that thread's theme, so am starting a new one here, where other installation horror reports are located.  In this case, the problem is different from the others, so if I interpret the rules rightly, I should start a new thread, not post to a dissimilar one.

Problem:  Windows keeps reinstalling itself over and over.  Each time more files were copied, so it wasn't actually doing the same install over and over, but might have been interactive, reboot, interactive again.  But there is NOTHING in the screens you see, to let you know this.  They all read the same, they all begin with 'Install Windows 10', each time you must select the language then agree to the EULA, and everything afterwards is exactly the same in the progress screen, and when it finishes, it says it has to reboot 'to continue'.  Continue what?  Well, the first seven times I left the installer stick in, and at the 8th time I decided to take it out at the next 'Install Windows' purple screen (after reboot).  And, I hit the Red X to close the installation.

Next I booted it without the stick, and all went as recorded in that top link of this post.  Since it wouldn't allow me to input my name and the other data, I thought okay, I'll shut down and re-insert the stick, but call it 'Repair', see what happens.  So now I am doing a reset keeping my files (of which I have none, this was bare metal installation on a brand new internal hard drive with no files ever on it).

So now I'll journal what happens next, in subsequent posts.  Anyone want to help me troubleshoot this, chime in!  Or, did you have the same experience?

Again, this is the saga for the Win10, 64-bit installer, to a Dell Latitude 6510 with 4 GB RAM (Legacy not UEFI enabled). I have other machines I can use, but this one had familiar drivers. 'Also have the 32-bit, and might run that one too, some other time.

Edited by brainout, 28 June 2015 - 11:33 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:45 PM

Post-reset, it goes into a loop again for me to either Install or repair windows, just like the other 8 time.  So this time I went to advanced options, and selected the one which repairs why Windows won't boot.  For I never actually got into Windows, it wouldn't let me create the first user account (wouldn't let me type in the data).  I suspect this is because I turned off all the data-sharing options listed in the 1st post's top link.  But of course, nothing in the prompts or 'reactions' say that's why.

Aha, now it says 'Startup Repair couldn't repair' the PC.  Going down the rabbit hole again...

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:54 PM

LOLOL!  I next opted for full PC reset, wiping out everything.  And what happens?  'There was a problem resetting your PC.'  So it won't work!!!!

Mind you, I didn't have to add drivers, this is a very common business laptop I got from dellauction for $200 refurb including media, but I'm using a brand new WD Scorpio Blue hard drive, also bought from Dell.  So it can't be drivers or the machine.

BUGGY INSTALLER!!!

So now what?  I've tried everything but going back to square one.  By the way, at the Repair screen it claims I have TWO Windows 10 installations.  How so?  Rabbit-hole time...

If in doubt, shutdown.  Will unplug, wait 10 mins, and start over with a fresh installation.  Maybe.  If I don't report more tonight, I fell asleep waiting for the next Windows loop...

Edited by brainout, 28 June 2015 - 11:55 PM.

#4 darkbit

darkbit

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:56 PM

LOLOL!  I next opted for full PC reset, wiping out everything.  And what happens?  'There was a problem resetting your PC.'  So it won't work!!!!

Mind you, I didn't have to add drivers, this is a very common business laptop I got from dellauction for $200 refurb including media, but I'm using a brand new WD Scorpio Blue hard drive, also bought from Dell.  So it can't be drivers or the machine.

BUGGY INSTALLER!!!

So now what?  I've tried everything but going back to square one.  By the way, at the Repair screen it claims I have TWO Windows 10 installations.  How so?  Rabbit-hole time...

If in doubt, shutdown.  Will unplug, wait 10 mins, and start over with a fresh installation.  Maybe.  If I don't report more tonight, I fell asleep waiting for the next Windows loop...

That is "free". Should have stayed away from the NSA trojan  horse. 

#5 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:14 AM

Soap Opera next Episode:  I shut down, unplugged, waited 10 minutes, then without the stick, turned the machine on again.

Wow, now it is sensible!  Screen says 'Installing Windows' and that 'it will take several hours' (sorry, Drew), and also 'your machine will reboot several times, sit back and relax' with a huge progress circle saying how much (as %) it's 'installing'.

Okay, will see if it actually completes.  I'm still connected to the internet.

It's rebooted many times now, 12:37 Central Time edit.  NO end in sight.  But at least it's not asking me over and over what language I want and making me agree to the EULA over and over..

4:10am CT, ENERGIZER BUNNY still rebooting over and over, but it said this would happen, wonder how long 'several hours' will really be.

Edited by brainout, 29 June 2015 - 04:09 AM.

#6 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:16 AM

LOL, darkbit!  NSA can't know anything on the computer, there's no data.  I don't actually care if they can spy on me, it's MY country.  But I do very much care if all my typing on my PC is stored somewhere in a Redmond server, and someday a client's confidential data is breached due to some disgruntled Redmond employee or hacker.  Like that Russian guy, some months back.

Mind you, that wouldn't be Microsoft's fault.  They don't want to know personal data for identity.  They want to compile millions of people's data to AGGREGATE THE RESULTS, just like Google does.  That's not really any intent to invade privacy.  It's like mass marketing data.

The US government is much worse.  Forms 5500 are public documents, disclosing employer name, number of participants, amount of money in the Plan, and ANYONE can publicly search the whole database, here.

So that's what insurance salesmen and stockbrokers do.  They pick plans which they think they can sell their stuff to.  And the Plan Sponsor has no way to block it.  Talk about spam!

But census specifics is another matter, never disclosed to the government and never anywhere except local.  So for MSFT to want to record my 'typing', well.. even if I successfully install Win10, it will NEVER have confidential data on it.  I'll fake my birthday.  I know MSFT means well, but there's no way once they put a 'listening' into the OS, that I can ever be sure it won't be used.

Edited by brainout, 29 June 2015 - 12:22 AM.

#7 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:22 AM

AHAHAHAHAHA it is a bug this loopy thing, and in the preview build 10130 which is the ONLY ONE AVAILABLE for 64-bit!  So much for folks saying it's a 15-minute job.

MSFT link on the bug.  Notice how old the thread is.  So why didn't they pull the preview back at the end of May?

BC Forum link on the bug.  Two weeks later, day before I downloaded the iso.  I am NOT rolling back to prior version, as there IS no prior version.  So the loop problem is not due to a prior version.

I didn't see the BC thread, because it was on page 2 of the forum.  So this thread maybe needs to be moved there?  What is the procedure?

So I just lost time from 8:35 pm until now, 4:21 am.  So of course '15 minutes to install' claim is provably false, contradictory evidence even in Microsoft's own Insider forum.  Great.

Here's my post in that BC forum on a hopeful solution, trying it now.

Edited by brainout, 29 June 2015 - 04:54 AM.

#8 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:34 AM

Final outcome, hopeless, journalled here.

Due Diligence complaint to Microsoft and explanation of how to fix the bug, I wrote here.

Don't download Win10.  Don't suffer as I did.

Edited by brainout, 29 June 2015 - 08:11 AM.

#9 darkbit

darkbit

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:44 AM

LOL, darkbit!  NSA can't know anything on the computer, there's no data.  I don't actually care if they can spy on me, it's MY country.  But I do very much care if all my typing on my PC is stored somewhere in a Redmond server, and someday a client's confidential data is breached due to some disgruntled Redmond employee or hacker.  Like that Russian guy, some months back.

Mind you, that wouldn't be Microsoft's fault.  They don't want to know personal data for identity.  They want to compile millions of people's data to AGGREGATE THE RESULTS, just like Google does.  That's not really any intent to invade privacy.  It's like mass marketing data.

The US government is much worse.  Forms 5500 are public documents, disclosing employer name, number of participants, amount of money in the Plan, and ANYONE can publicly search the whole database, here.

So that's what insurance salesmen and stockbrokers do.  They pick plans which they think they can sell their stuff to.  And the Plan Sponsor has no way to block it.  Talk about spam!

But census specifics is another matter, never disclosed to the government and never anywhere except local.  So for MSFT to want to record my 'typing', well.. even if I successfully install Win10, it will NEVER have confidential data on it.  I'll fake my birthday.  I know MSFT means well, but there's no way once they put a 'listening' into the OS, that I can ever be sure it won't be used.

What do you mean record your typing? Are you saying you think Windows 10 has a built in keylogger of some sort at the firmware level or OS level? 

What is the point of even bothering with a new OS if you aren't going to put anything real on it? Much more logical just to stay with a locked down version of another older OS. 

Edited by darkbit, 29 June 2015 - 07:46 AM.

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,628 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:53 AM

My installation went so smoothly I almost missed it. I guess everybody is different.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:15 AM

Then you didn't install build 10130, which was buggy and known to be buggy and I provided links showing MSFT KNOWS IT IS BUGGY.  But that's the only build anyone can download now.

#12 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:17 AM

@darkbit, I was quoting what the installation was saying on screen.  The default option unless you turn it off via custom installation is that everything you type, your contacts, etc. all GO TO MICROSOFT.  See the first link in Post #1, where I typed what was happening on the screen as it occurred.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:18 AM

I installed the build 10130 at least 3 times on my VMs and it worked everytime. Clean installations. If you want I can install it again tonight and see if it crashes... But I doubt it will.

Edited by Aura., 29 June 2015 - 11:18 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#14 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:30 PM

Aura, I documented the problem.  See Post #7:  There is another thread about it in this forum from two weeks ago, others having the problem.  And MICROSOFT KNOWS IT IS A BUG, and that other thread in this forum had that link too.  So please do not pretend that this is some weird anomalous thing.  It's a bug, it's a known bug for a month, it's been documented here in this forum and so my posts are NOT out of line.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:35 PM

Can you tell me exactly where I said that this wasn't a bug? Can you tell me exactly where I said it's an anomaly? No where. I just shared my own experiences with the build 10130 to show that for some users it'll still work normally.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users