Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing Internet Connectivity And E-mail Settings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lwald51

lwald51

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:30 AM

I recently installed a new hard drive and have had problems with internet connectivity and Outlook Express. It seems like this is occuring after I install automatic security updates when I turn off the computer. I do a system restore and things work until I let microsoft install the updates (on the advice of the tech where I bought the computer. )

Any ideas, I have run a Hijack This, but have no idea what to do with it.

Thanks

Edited by lwald51, 09 July 2006 - 10:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:36 PM

Hi and Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

I wonder if you have put your old data on this new hard drive? If so, you could be infected. Connectivity and Internet Explorer problems could mean infection, at least. It might be worth checking out. I would strongly advise you NOT to do anything with HiJackThis! without proper instruction from an expert. There are many experts here at BC, but not in this forum. They work in the HiJackThis! forum. You need to post a short description of your issue along with a HiJackThis log.

Full instructions can be found HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 lwald51

lwald51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:28 PM

You are correct that we put as many of the files as we could salvage from the old hard drive on the new one. I have been running AVG (I did have Norton but I am afraid to reinstall it as it seemed to be causing major issues) and it has not identified any viruses.

What would you suggest I do?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 10:31 PM

Read the information on the link Albert provided
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
and post a Hijack This log in our Hijack This forum as advised.

Edited by Enthusiast, 09 July 2006 - 10:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users