Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keep it or ... ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Chris030

Chris030

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:27 PM

Hi,

I currently own a 3.5 year old Acer Aspire 5755G which runs with Windows 7 64-bit and contains following:

- Intel Core i7-2670 QM 2.2 GHz (up to 3.1 GHz)

- NVIDIA GeForce GT540M, up to 4095MB Turbo Cache

- 750 Gb & 8 Gb RAM

I don't own a desktop pc because of my studies and I'm always taking flights here and there.

I use it also for everything, also games.

Lately I don't play anymore because it overheats and it got some problems with Battlefield 4 for example (quality and stuff).

What would you suggest:

- try to open it and clean it or give it to someone to clean it

- buy one of these laptop cooling systems (although I cannot transport it when taking a plane)

- sell it and get a new better one

What are your thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:39 PM

Your CPU is pretty good, you have a good amount of RAM, but your games aren't going too well because your GPU is just OK. You could clean it and then sell it to someone who will use it for everyday stuff and maybe a little (not hardcore) gaming. 

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:32 AM

I will try to clean it although I never did something like that and I'm pretty scared to break something or so...

Maybe I got someone who needs a new laptop just for working and everyday stuff. Have some of you got a price idea?

The next point, getting a new one... I know nearly nothing about this so I'm relying on you people ;)

As said, I need a laptop which I always carry with me (traveling, university, ...) to do everyday and work stuff but also be able to play games like Battlefield, Strategy games, and some of the newest games that came out or/and will be coming out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

#4 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:18 AM

I would get a can of compressed air and then blow out the dust. A good price would probably be in the $150-250 USD price range, if it would not overheat during everyday tasks.

Well, I would probably recommend a Lenovo. I don't know what your budget is for a gaming laptop, but here are some good choices: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/redux/laptops/grid-facets/#facet-4=2

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:44 PM

I'll buy one and work on that problem as soon as my exams are over.

No, not at all. Writing while listening to music, cutting picutres, researching, etc works fine!

Well, this laptop was a gift and did cost like $900 USD. Now that I have to pay it myself I'd got with the motto "The best and cheapest possible" That lasts as long as possible for work and gaming. I don't know, maybe around $700 USD or cheaper? Are there good laptops in that price range?

I've heard of Lenovo, are there other brands who would suit? Or do you like Lenovo the most, also because you own or did own one?

#6 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:04 PM

I'll buy one and work on that problem as soon as my exams are over.

No, not at all. Writing while listening to music, cutting picutres, researching, etc works fine!

Well, this laptop was a gift and did cost like $900 USD. Now that I have to pay it myself I'd got with the motto "The best and cheapest possible" That lasts as long as possible for work and gaming. I don't know, maybe around $700 USD or cheaper? Are there good laptops in that price range?

I've heard of Lenovo, are there other brands who would suit? Or do you like Lenovo the most, also because you own or did own one?

I helped my mom decide on a Lenovo laptop, and it's been running smoothly without issues for a long time. You could probably find a pretty nice laptop in the $600 to $700 range that could do some gaming, but not hardcore. My little brother plays Minecraft on my mom's $670 Lenovo laptop.

#7 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:22 PM

I helped my mom decide on a Lenovo laptop, and it's been running smoothly without issues for a long time. You could probably find a pretty nice laptop in the $600 to $700 range that could do some gaming, but not hardcore. My little brother plays Minecraft on my mom's $670 Lenovo laptop.

Can you also play more "exigent" games on that laptop?

Like the games I'll probably play are for example Need for Speed, League of Legens/Dota/Shards of War, Football Manager, Fifa, Banished, strategy games, also Minecraft, ...

Something in that range. Would it be possible or do I have to increase my spending budget?

Would also be nice if some other members have had other experience?

Edited by Chris030, 02 July 2015 - 04:34 PM.

#8 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:11 PM

I would suggest selling it for about $260-$300 and saving up for a cheap alien ware computer, those things can game...

they call me te java mayster

#9 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:09 AM

I would suggest selling it for about $260-$300 and saving up for a cheap alien ware computer, those things can game...

Alienware laptop = yes, but their desktop = heck nah. 

#10 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:17 PM

I don't get why I hate desktops, maybe because they're not that movable like laptops.

#11 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:46 AM

Thanks for the answers!

Now that I'm free from my exams, I can take a closer look!

Yeah, laptops are more movable!

So it would be between Lenovo & Alienware?

How do I know which setup is better? Is there some site to compare? Or a list which categorizes the hardware?

#12 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:17 AM

I don't think Lenovo makes desktops. Just pick a computer from both Lenovo and Alienware and post their specs here.

#13 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:07 AM

Alienware is a bit pricey for me...

I found one Lenovo (Y40-80) who caught my eye, here it is:

- 5th Generation Intel Core i7-5500U Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 4MB)

- 14.0" FHD LED AntiGlare (1920x1080)

- AMD Radeon R9 M275 2GB

- 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L 1600 MHz

- Hard Drive: 1TB 5400 rpm

- Network card: Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

Although it doesn't have an optical drive.

How is that?

#14 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:50 PM

looks pretty good i guess

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users