Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Question For Computer Nerds

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:23 AM

Hello Eggheads,

I am wondering if it is possible for a person with the right skills to determine my location while I am playing Starcraft or other online game?

I mean can they back track me to a server or my actual physical address if they know what they are doing?

Thanks

Constantine
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:21 PM

I'm not sure what tools would be unique to starcraft or battle.net, but with your ip address from the connection you make when you play they could theoretically find your isp's location, so yes but not your home address (unless they are a real stalker and manage to get more info)

Check this out to see what i mean http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:04 AM

Very unlikely, as they would have to have a way to determine your IP address from within the programme on the server, and most game programmes have a array of protection.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:20 AM

If you are running the correct security measure starting with a good firewall (Not the Windows Firewall) you should not have to worry too much. Anybody with the right tools can trace your IP address back and locate you but that is unlikely to happen. Remember with computers there is no way to be totally inviable on the web.

#5 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:33 PM

Your IP address is just like you street address...
It is unique to you and your ISP.
-If there is any type of direct connection between you and the other person, then it would be very easy to determine your IP address as well as your location.
As posted above... I think that because you are connecting to a server that you would most likely be safe from someone determining this.

"its kinda like when you talk on messenger... you write someting, it goes to the hotmail server, then to the recipient. BUT if you sent a file over messenger to the recipeient, then that would be considered a direct connection between you and the recipient: Very easy to determine the IP address when you are directly connected to someone.

(Start / run: CMD = Tracert / Netstat)
JU$T1N~1

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:38 PM

I've gotta wonder what you did to worry about being traced! :thumbsup:
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:42 PM

:thumbsup: @ Albert
JU$T1N~1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users