Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nagging issues with USB

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:19 PM

I use USB Flash Drives, a USB Memory Card adapter,  a USB wireless mouse, USB connected DVD / CD Drives and a powered 9 port USB  hub (made necessary by the DVD / CD Drives which are normally not plugged in when not in use).

This is despite the fact that I have always found USB to be somewhat erratic and unstable

A nagging problem I frequently experience is, especially when i start up, I cannot get the USBs to connect (hand-shake) right away. This often requires me to remove / reinsert the plug from its USB socket several times (sometimes many times). It is especially bothersome with the mouse, as I cannot properly get going until it starts to respond --- I only use the pad and touch to a limited extent, I feel handicapped without a mouse. I also think it must not do the physical connections much good. And of course from time to time the Flash Drives get corrupted, so I cannot rely on them for secure storage. I have accumulated about 6 'dead' USB Flash Drives over the years. I had hoped the powered hub would reduce the problem but it has not done so. 

All this is in marked contrast to my integral SD Memory Card which has never been any bother since first installed over six months ago. Now to come to my questions:

1. If I have to use the ISO / bootable USB media route for the upgrade to Windows 10, is there any reason why I cannot use a more reliable high capacity integral Memory Card, instead of a Flash Drive or DVD?  Are DVD discs large enough anyway at just over 4 GB?

2. Will it be a good idea to use the more reliable Memory Card for backing up my Windows 8.1 OS rather than USB Flash Drive? (I do already have a Recovery USB Flash Drive --- is this all that is required?  Also I have Norton Backup online as well, so do I need another backup too?)

3,  How do I find out how many GBs I will need for each of  these operations?

clayto

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:36 PM

In all of my years using USB I have never experienced even one hiccup or problem. I just plug them in once, and its over.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:39 PM

Just one question to the OP. Why can't you just connect to the internet and upgrade that way? Do you have an internet connection or do you have to use a media device for a particular reason?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users