Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall Does It Do The Job

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 timipz

timipz

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:09 AM

Im a new member and have just read the tutorial about internet security and in the part about fire walls it does not mention the windows firewall but mentions 3 others that for home use are recommended.

1 Emisoft Online Armour

2 Outpost Firewall

3 Zone Alarm Free

Should I be considering replacing my Windows Firewall with one of the above,Some advice from an experienced member would be really great.

Thanks Timipz.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 June 2015 - 10:13 AM.
moved from Windows 8 to the approprate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:26 AM

Hi timipz :)

Since Emsisoft's Online Armor have been discontinued, you cannot really include it in the options now (unless you already have it installed and activated).

http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/03/31/emsisoft-online-armor-support-roadmap/

As for the Windows Firewall, there's a couple of reasons that can be given, which makes it the best firewall you can have on Windows. See the articles below.

Choosing a Firewall
Why You Don’t Need to Install a Third-Party Firewall (And When You Do)
5 Reasons Why the Windows Firewall is One of the Best Firewalls

Let me know if you have any questions :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 timipz

timipz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:20 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH AURA,,,that answered my question and many more at the same time,i'll be sticking with the windows firewall I wont be using 3rd party software to replace what was designed to run with my Win 8.1.

I often wondered why some sites suggest using other firewalls and many people iv noticed appear quick to suggest nearly all windows security and operating software is inadequate and should be replaced when new to trying to get to understand how pc's work and what are good pc practices its quite overwhelming all of the various sites etc saying I should do this or that but thanks to this site and your answer I feel a bit more confident and im really happy to have found bleeping computer and the wealth of shared knowledge on here.

May I ask what if any windows apps you suggest changing or is it best to keep my pc in "new out the box" condition?.

Aura thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.

Yours gratefully Timipz

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:52 PM

No problem, you're welcome :)

May I ask what if any windows apps you suggest changing or is it best to keep my pc in "new out the box" condition?.

It really depends what programs we are talking about here: maintenance, reporting, troubleshooting, security, etc.?

I often wondered why some sites suggest using other firewalls and many people iv noticed appear quick to suggest nearly all windows security and operating software is inadequate and should be replaced when new to trying to get to understand how pc's work and what are good pc practices its quite overwhelming all of the various sites etc saying I should do this or that but thanks to this site and your answer I feel a bit more confident and im really happy to have found bleeping computer and the wealth of shared knowledge on here.

Different users have different views on what should be used. Some are sharing their experience, some are sharing what they know, others are just sharing their opinion. The "best" security setup doesn't exist. So what a user recommends might not fit you, but it could fit another user.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Marisawriter

Marisawriter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:18 PM

I'm interested in this answer too.   I notice that Avira does not even offer its own Firewall now because it says Windows Firewall is all you need.

One thing I observe about Windows Firewall is that it doesn't seem to "learn".   If you install a new program it doesn't automatically mean it's able to communicate through the Firewall, you have to manually add it to the Firewall settings.  On my previous PC, my antivirus program's firewall was able to update itself for that.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:51 PM

The thing is, a firewall is very difficult to develop comparing to AV and AM software. Hence multiple AV vendors (Trend Micro, Avira, Webroot) ditched their firewalls and instead use the Windows Firewall in Vista+ since it is robust enough for home users.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:44 PM

Marisawriter, TinyWall have an option called "learning mode" where it'll study the incoming/outgoing connections and after a while, adjust its settings to reflect what programs/processes/etc. should be able to communicate and which one shouldn't. And TinyWall relies on the Windows Firewall (it adds functionnality to it).

unite_blue.png

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,383 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:07 PM

You may want to read this topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Clade

Clade

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:13 PM

Based on tests proceeded, in Windows 8.1, based Comodo Leaks Test, where the maximum score is 340:

1. Windows Firewall: 220

2. GlassWire free: 220

3. Comodo Firewall: 250

4. Zone Alarm (free) 260 (does not install if you do not install crap on your equipment);

5, Private Firewall: 290.

Note: Default settings as download.

#10 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:38 PM

Should I be considering replacing my Windows Firewall with one of the above

Short answer, NO.  Recommend use Windows Defender & Windows Firewall.  Together, do a fine, effective job.  I and my clients have had no troubles, @ all, just sticking to these as is the same for countless other End Users.  They are unintrusive & do not hog resources. 

#11 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:23 AM

I quite like comodo's firewall and would recommend using it if you don't like windows firewall, happy firewallin'!

they call me te java mayster

#12 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:49 AM

I am not a big fan of Comodo Firewall, since it is buggy and can be difficult to use for some people.

Private Firewall seems the best choice if you want a free standalone firewall. For paid Agnitum Outpost Pro looks good, although the last time I used it my Skype got blocked.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:22 AM

Short answer, NO.  Recommend use Windows Defender & Windows Firewall.  Together, do a fine, effective job.

This is still really "basic" protection compared to what other Antivirus products can offer.

unite_blue.png

#14 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:38 AM

I'm shock myself after see this AV Comparative March 2015 test result, i never believe that Windows Defender can achieve such a high score which is 90% on this test. I always thought that it would be somewhere below 50% because it lack a lot of protections. Here is the AV comparative chart, http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php.

Notice: I can't copy the chart due to copyright, so the link view should be fine. 

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 07 July 2015 - 06:40 AM.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:29 AM

Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall are good by default, but most of the time, Antivirus products will offer better protection than the simple Windows Defender alone (for Windows 8/8.1 that is).

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users