Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade to win 10 for vista

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 linked_up

linked_up

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:11 AM

I guess we'll have to pay for it??. But, what if I do an upgrade to win 7 first, do you think we would be entitled to the free upgrade that win 7 and 8 users are getting... Is there a way to upgrade to win 7 from vista for free?..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:30 AM

No, you won't have to pay for it if you join Windows Insiders.  Here's an article on it with links to the way to join.

Most importantly, you can do a clean install after making another partition on your drive, so you won't lose your familiar Vista.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:57 AM

I guess we'll have to pay for it??. But, what if I do an upgrade to win 7 first, do you think we would be entitled to the free upgrade that win 7 and 8 users are getting... Is there a way to upgrade to win 7 from vista for free?..

No there is not a way to go from Vista to anything for free.  Either 7 SP1 or 8.1  to 10 or buy Windows 10.
And joining Insiders only gets one the Beta of Win10 which does no good long-term and cannot replace a current OS.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 28 June 2015 - 11:58 AM.

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:40 PM

Not true, Drew.  Ed Bott explained the issue well in the link I provided linked_up, with quotes from MSFT.  So if you think Ed's wrong, then maybe you should write him?

Moreover, the Insider's page, corroborates him.  Pasted from that article, paste being from official Windows blog,

Windows Insiders running the Windows 10 Insider Preview (Home and Pro editions) with their registered MSA connected to their PC will receive the final release build of Windows 10 starting on July 29th. This will come as just another flight. I've gotten a lot of questions from Windows Insiders about how this will work if they clean installed from ISO. As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build and remain activated. Once you have successfully installed this build and activated, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh.

Since you can't delay or opt out of  Win10 updates, however nice it might be, I'm not sure I'll want to use it.  If I have to stay offline to avoid the updates, I may as well stay on XP, Vista, or eventually Win7.

Edited by brainout, 28 June 2015 - 12:49 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:18 PM

Since you can't delay or opt out of  Win10 updates, however nice it might be, I'm not sure I'll want to use it.  If I have to stay offline to avoid the updates, I may as well stay on XP, Vista, or eventually Win7.

Or you can get the Professional edition of Windows 10 - the forced updates only apply to the Home edition.

Personally I see no reason to refuse updates. The amount of botched updates is minor comparing to the total amount, and updates not installed in time tend to be a major reason why machines get infected with malware.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:42 PM

The problem I see with forced updates on Windows Home is Microsoft wanting to use Peer to Peer to distribute updates. I see a lot of not good with that but maybe I am wrong. Myself, I always wait a week or so before I will do an update, especially the ones marked important that are not security updates. Another thing I worry about. Are these forced updates going to include driver upates that now are listed as optional?

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 June 2015 - 06:42 PM.

#7 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:58 PM

Or you can get the Professional edition of Windows 10 - the forced updates only apply to the Home edition.

We do seem to need to keep repeating this over & over.

Personally I see no reason to refuse updates*. The amount of botched updates is minor comparing to the total amount, and updates not installed in time tend to be a major reason why machines get infected with malware.

I concur & don't blame you for saying it; basically impossible to understand or justify. And, "In time", if @ all... Home version users a notorious for not keeping critical things up-to-date; as an IT Pro in the field I have seen more laxness than you can imagine.  Security Updates are definitely NOT something to refuse or delay.  It's too bad even sad people can't or won't see the good (& good reasons) in how things are NOW w/ Windows 10.  But, maybe, probably, we will see fewer broken or sick computers & less incidents of malware floating about.
It is nothing but, unhelpful suggesting to lay-people that there is something bad about Updates, the truth is quite the opposite.

As for the free Upgrade offer applying to Vista, it does not.  Never has, never will.  I am not going to argue this on write to anyone saying different; they can write to Microsoft, instead.. If anyone wants to contradict it or tell me this is "Not true"... This is straight from the Microsoft site FAQs for the Windows 10 Upgrade:

Q&A
What are the basic facts of the Windows 10 upgrade?

Microsoft is making Windows 10 available as free upgrade for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 devices.

Source:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-faq

Does not include Vista or XP.  From the onset when it was announce to us in January, ONLY, 7 SP1 & 8.1 devices.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 28 June 2015 - 08:10 PM.

#8 siblis

siblis

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:41 PM

I don't think most pc's running Vista is even capable of running windows 10

#9 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:36 PM

I don't think most pc's running Vista is even capable of running windows 10

Hi Siblis-don't know if you are part of the Windows10 Insider Testing community or not, but if you were, you may have read my reports about this here on this Forum and on other Tech forums.  I'll give you the short version, since it's been over a month since your post above, and things have changed a bit.

From testing I've done going back to early TP builds in Sept. 2014, Win10 (wx) has consistently installed onto Vista-era computers; specifically, my testing machine was a Dell Inspiron E520 with 4GB RAM built 3/30/2007.  I purposely used this machine for testing as it's the oldest computer I have with Vista pre-loaded on it.  Most of my others were built iin 2008 with Vista.  Therefore, this machine is 8-1/2 yrs. old and works with wx TP through April 2015 (Build 10065). 

I haven't yet tested this machine with the latest final release of wx; dated July 29th.  I've downloaded both 64bit and 32bit ISO files directly from Microsoft on Aug. 1, 2015.  I attempted to install this file from ISO disc onto my daily driver Vista-era machine, Build date = 11/12/2008; 6 yrs. 9 mos. old).  This failed multiple times, and including a factory hard drive erase on a SEAGATE drive using their SEATOOLS utility.  This machine (Dell Studio540) is nearly 2 years newer than my TP test Vista-era machine, and it did not work.  I'm planning on testing the older Vista-era machine ((Dimension E520; 3/30/2007, during this month of Aug. 2015 and I will report the results back to this forum and the others I participate in.  Preliminary research shows that a PURCHASED LICENSE OF WIN10 should resolve this problem on both machines using a CLEAN INSTALL.  There is no UPGRADE path from a XP-era or VISTA-era machine to Win10, as has been stated here on this Forum and multiple e-zines such as PC World & CNET. 

This is problably more information than you wanted, but, I'm writing this to other forum users who might be attempting the upgrade from older era computers (e.g. XP & Vista) and getting frustrated with it not working. 

While I'm doing this post, it might be worth it to mention that my personal research which as been corroborated by other Windows TP Insiders doing testing, that Win10 (Home or Pro versions) will not be capable of installing on ANY computer built prior to 2006.  To our knowledge there were only XP computers being built in 2001-2006, with no machines coming pre-loaded with Vista on them until 2007.  One of the earliest I have seen is the Dimension E520 I mention above with a very early Build date of 3/30/2007.  Most folks who bought Vista on their machines in those days didn't get them until 11/2007; Thanksgiving or later. 

Here's the actual issue with older XP/Vista machines from a Moderator on another forum:

"Much of that old hardware does not support some or all of PAE, NX, and SSE2 some or all of which have actually been a requirement since Windows 8 RTM."

In a nutshell, if you are attempting to put a legit Win10 purchased license onto any computer older than 9 yrs. old (2006); our research shows it will not work.  Period.  Specific instructions missing in the CPU (Microprocessor) prevent it from working with Win10 (or Win8/8.1).  This is based on our testing of the TP builds of Win10.  Once I purchase the legit license product (RTM) later this month, we will attempt to confirm this is also true with the actual released product from Microsoft to retailers from July 29th.

Summarizing, then your statement is a guess; not based in fact.  We Insider testers are about 80% sure the licensed Win10 retail boxed discs with product keys purchased through legit sources SHOULD work on Vista-era computers.  However, we don't wish to tell people it WON'T WORK until we complete our testing and neither should you.  If you look at the hardware specs listed on Microsoft's Windows10 upgrade site, you'll see that computers going back to 2001 with enough RAM memory (1GB 32bit; 2GB 64bit) and WDDM DirectX ver.9.0 SHOULD WORK with Win10 RTM.  Insider testing shows otherwise as I allude to above, with no computers built prior to 2006 able to do this. Here's the link to the Win10 specs on M$ website: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

We are leaning towards that Win10 RTM will work on purchased licensed Win10 retail media through legit sources on most if not all Vista machines; XP, as I said nothing prior to 2006. 

Hope that quantifies things for everyone.

Cheers!

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Windows 10 Insider Tester

#10 siblis

siblis

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:41 PM

this is new from Microsoft ...

Can I get Windows 10 if I have a device running Windows XP or Windows Vista?

You may purchase Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store or other retailers and install it on your existing device running Windows XP or Windows Vista if your device meets theminimum spec requirements for Windows 10. You will need to back up any existing files before installing Windows 10. It will be a “clean” install... Specs 

• Processor:

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
  • RAM:

1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit

• Hard disk space:

16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
  • Graphics card:

DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
  • Display:

800x600

Edited by siblis, 12 August 2015 - 08:54 PM.

#11 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:38 AM

Whilst beta-testing Win10 Previews there were many reports of it being successfully put on older machines & some that were originally XP & Vista.  I recall one from around 2004 or 06 & one I think was even before that.  However, not suggesting will work on every (much) older machine...
I will concur that cannot Upgrade if XP or Vista, must purchase W10 & do a clean (Custom) install.  The way people who had originally XP or Vista machines were doing the Upgrade path was by upgrading those machines to 7 or 8/1 first otherwise, it's clean install only.

By the way, have done a few new 8.1 machines to W10 recently for customers... just a slick, smooth, seamless & trouble-free as anyone could ever want.

#12 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:12 PM

Whilst beta-testing Win10 Previews there were many reports of it being successfully put on older machines & some that were originally XP & Vista.  I recall one from around 2004 or 06 & one I think was even before that.  However, not suggesting will work on every (much) older machine...
I will concur that cannot Upgrade if XP or Vista, must purchase W10 & do a clean (Custom) install.  The way people who had originally XP or Vista machines were doing the Upgrade path was by upgrading those machines to 7 or 8/1 first otherwise, it's clean install only.

By the way, have done a few new 8.1 machines to W10 recently for customers... just a slick, smooth, seamless & trouble-free as anyone could ever want.

Hi Drew: Good information. B)   You are the first person in nearly a year that has heard anything about XP-era or Vista-era machines being successfully installed with TP or RTM.  I've scoured the Tech forums including Microsoft Win10 TP Insider community forum and no one has yet claimed to do this.  Since you haven't done it personally, I cannot pass on that it's indeed successful unless you are willing to spend the time to make the attempts. It is certainly helpful to know that someone "Claims" to have done; but you know how reliable/unreliable that can be.  I would be very interested in communicating with you my results in any case.  In the next couple of months I have 2 Win10 workshops I'm preparing for in my local Computer Club so this information will be very helpful.  I plan on testing both the RTM ISO file, which I successfully have installed Win10RTM on, and it happens to be my TP testing PC, as well as the Win10RTM Home retail which I plan on purchasing as soon as I get my next paycheck.  I'm going to apply on machines from 2001-2008 and see how I do.  I don't hold any hope for anything prior to 2006 built hardware as I stated, but who knows?  I've got lots of XP & Vista-era machines to try them on, and they are not far away from the recycle bin as they take up space in my house, and I can't resell them to anyone unless I can get Win10 trial on them or Linux (haven't yet had a Customer willing to try that!). 

For anyone else reading this thread, if you've personally been able to get a Win10 clean-install on a PC 2001-2005 I would like to hear from you and get your machine specs for my further research. 

Thanks-

<<<BBJ>>>

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 18 August 2015 - 02:13 PM.

#13 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:14 PM

'BBJ',

Take a look through HERE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users