Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't Boot After Installing Sp2

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Maceman

Maceman

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 12:58 AM

I am using Windows XP Home Edition and today I decided to install SP2, well after it installed I clicked the button to restart the computer as the setup told me to and it took me to the normal Windows XP loading screen. This time it didn't say Home Edition on the loading screen and the loading bar was blue instead of green. It shows this screen for hours and never gets past it.

I have tried loading it in safe mode, last known good configuration, and normal, they all seem to fail. Why and what can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Maceman

Maceman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 02:05 AM

Update:

I used a Windows repair disk and used FIXBOOT and FIXMBR, I then booted in safe mode while pressing esc to not load that one file. It actually loaded safe mode that time and I uninstalled SP2. Now normal mode works but I don't have SP2.

Is there anyway I can install SP2 without it locking me out of my computer?

#3 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 05:09 PM

How did you install SP2? did you do the online update or did you use the full SP2 package? If you tried to do it online, you might consider either downloading the full "network admin" package if you have broadband, or ordering the CD. Info on both options is available at this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

BTW don't worry about the "IT professionals" stuff, it worked fine for me on XP Home on a single computer. :thumbsup:

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:18 PM

When you do to download the service pack 2 you DO NOT want to use the run from this location, use the download to disk and then just wait until it is donw. If you have dial-up do not download it it will take forever. Use a computer with broadband and then burn to a CD-R.

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:54 PM

One other thing...

Before you load SP2, make sure your computer is as clean as possible. I would suggest running the virus scans and malware removal programs found in the Start Here post.

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. – Will Smith

#6 Maceman

Maceman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:52 PM

I downloaded it from the update website. I am using dial up so downloading the full package is not an option for me unless its resumeable like a torrent.

I think it was my antivirus program which messed it up to begin with. I am using Panda Titanium 2006 and right when I clicked to restart the computer Panda popped up saying did I want to accept the change to system files.

I think I am going to just keep with SP1 for now as I have heard alot of bad things about SP2.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:33 PM

SP2 is absolutely necessary and besides, if you do not have SP2 I don't believe you can get Windows updates which are critically necessary.

You can order an installation disk for SP2 for just the shipping charges - highly recommended.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...us/default.mspx

Those who operate XPO without installing SP2 on their Windows XP systems are acting irresponsibly – like drunk drivers, weaving and speeding through heavy traffic on bald tires in the rain. They are allowing their computers to increase everyone else’s risk of exposure to viruses, Trojans and other malware by operating systems on the Internet lacking essential Critical security updates. It is simply irresponsible behavior.

If everyone used adequate security measures, continually updated operating systems, regularly updated AV and anti-malware programs, there wouldn’t be any more virus pandemic and malware would not be running rampant all over the internet as it is now. SP2 is primarily involved with increased security and is critical to have installed!

According to Microsoft, SP 2 is a Critical (meaning absolutely necessary) Update that addresses security issues. Without the Critical Updates provided by SP 2 your computer lacks much of its ability to prevent the vicious and criminal miscreants who produce malware from turning your computer into a zombie, controlled by them to spread their malicious code. By not installing SP 2 you are risking loosing your ability to access future updates from Microsoft as well.

The vast majority of original problems experienced by some users upon installing SP 2 were the result of third party code that did not comply with Microsoft requirements – not flaws in XP or SP 2. Most of the manufacturers of peripheral devices and applications have issued updates for their products, making them compliant with the Microsoft code requirements and therefore no longer in conflict providing their updates are loaded. Most users of recent equipment had no problems with SP 2, just those using older equipment or programs.

Microsoft is offering a free CD for the installation of SP2. All yoiu pay are shipping charges.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows....lt.mspx

Those using it experience far fewer problems than those who do not. Act responsibly - order it and use it!

Microsoft is also offering free support should you experience any problems after installing SP 2. Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).
There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

The following will enable you to determine if you are likely to have problems installing SP2:

Knowledgebase: Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...ct=windowsxpsp2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users