Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No audio, all devices working properly.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shikosama

Shikosama

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:12 PM

I recently had an issue in which windows did not detect my internal audio output device. After struggling with this for almost an entire day I was finally able to get windows to see it, and according to the device manager everything is working properly, but I still have no audio.

I will describe the steps I have already taken, followed by my computer's specs. Please forgive the length of the post, I just want to be thorough.

Here is what I did in further detail:
Initially I noticed a red circle with a white X over the speaker icon in the system tray. I checked the device manager and there was no listing for sound and video game controllers, it had vanished entirely. The High Def audio controller was still present, though, under system devices. I ran dxdiag and it showed that no sound card was installed, even though it is on the mother board. I disabled the HD audio controller via the device manager and reset the computer in the hopes it would detect the sound card, but no luck. I tried again without the reset and scanned for hardware changes, still no luck. I then tried disabling the audio device via the BIOS. I checked the device manager to make sure it did not display the HD audio controller, and it did not. I then reset, and re-enabled it via the BIOS. Upon Wondows startup the HD audio controller was auto detected and re-installed, but still no output device. At this point I decided I would do some research on the motherboard itself, and rather than downloading a motherboard detection program I decided to open the case and look for the stamp on the motherboard. I shut down, disconnected the power, and turned off the power supply. I was able to identify the motherboard, but did nothing else to the computer while it was open. I closed it, turned the power supply back on, connected the power and fired it up. Lo and behold for some reason it now detected the audio output device. At this point I decided to check the device manager and dxdiag again, and everything seemed to be working properly, the sound and video game controllers category had returned, and all devices had a status of working properly, but upon testing I still had no sound. I have since tried to re-install audio drivers from both the computer manufacturer and Realtek, but nothing works. I know for a fact that the speakers I am using work, as I tested them on another device, any ideas? Here are all of the relavent specs for my computer.

Computer:
Compaq CQ 5300Y

Windows Home Basic 64 bit

Mother Board:
Asus M2N68-LA

BIOS:
Phoenix award BIOS v6.0

Chipset
nVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO 512

Audio output:
On board Realtek audio

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shikosama

Shikosama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 01:35 AM

Update:
Now I am having a plug/unplug loop using the driver from the Realtek website. This happens even when nothing is plugged in and all devices (speakers, headphones, microphone, line in, and stereo mix) are disabled.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:01 PM

I have to wonder if the audio card was damaged somehow.
The test would be disable it in the BIOS and try another sound card to see if that works properly.

DO NOT purchase one unless you can return it for your money back (as this is just a test method - not a firm diagnosis).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users